How do I move multiple actors by a set distance?

Hey,

So as the title says, I would like to move multiple actors by a set distance in the unreal editor.
My first thought was just typing +100 next to ‘Multiple Values’, but that does nothing.
Also, I need to move the actors by an exact distance and the gismo is too unprecise for this.

321792-capture.png

There must be a way to do this, right?

If you use gridsnapping, the gizmo will move with an exact amount of distance every time.

321788-gridsnapping.png

Alternatively if you want to type a value, you could make a parent object for all your selected objects and move that one around.

Hi Binjamin

One approach would be to build your own editor tools to automate these processes.
I will give a quick example.

1. Create an Actor called BP_ActorMoveTool

2. Add two variables “Amount” (float) and “ActorsToMove” (Actor array)

3. Make sure both variables have the flags “Instance Editable” and “ExposeOnSpawn” set to true.

321805-exposevariables.png

1. Add an event called “MoveActorsOnX” make sure the “CallInEditor” flag is set to true

1. Add simple logic to cycle through all the array elements and add the amount to X

1. Add an instance of BP_ActorMoveTool to the scene.

2. Add references to the actors you want to move

3. Click the MoveActorsOnX button.

Basically, this tool will allow you to specify an amount and it will move any actors added to the array.
This solution might be a bit overkill for what you’re trying to achieve and there are different approaches you can take.

However, it is good practice to start building your own tools to automize the behavior of objects in your level.

Good luck!
Alex

1 Like

A much easier solution might be Delta Transform.
Right-click on your selections in the outliner, Transform → Delta Transform → And then add what value you need to the x, y, or z coordinate.
Hope that helps!

• Anatolio
2 Likes