How do I make the Panner SpeedY into a Material parameter?

I have created a material for a flashing police light bar I am happy with. However, I was going to make it into a parent material with parameters, so I could make child instances of it and tweak a few of the parameters.

One of the parameters I wanted to tweak was the SpeedY of the Panner node, but I don’t see how I can feed it into the panner node?

Hey there, I also wanted to be able to adjust the Panner X/Y speed from a material instance, so I created a custom Panner node.

Basically what I did was create a new MaterialFunction that is a copy of the Panner node, but with and additional input for the X/Y speed, and I now use it anywhere I would have used the Panner node.

It is a fairly simple setup as you can see here:

But let me know if you can’t get it to work, I can send you the uasset file if necessary.

Hope that helps!

That seems more of a work around than actually addressing the problem, but I’ll take it! TY

Yeah it is definitly a workaround, unfortunately it is the only way to modify the Speed values outside of the material graph.

Just wanted to add a couple of notes here. You will want to set up the MaterialFunction’s details panel similar to the image below. This will expose the function to the Palette so you can use it in any material. I added mine to “DC_Functions” which is where I put my custom functions, but use whichever category you want.

Here is an example of how to use the function. I added in both a CollectionParameter and a VectorParameter to show how both can be used. Since they are 4 channel vectors by default, I mask the R & G channels, but that is not necessary since the function masks the input as well.

So this is the only way currently to modify the speed, I mentioned it to Epic before that it would be nice to have this exposed to the regular Panner node as well, we’ll have to see if that gets added in a future release.

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Dont know if this will help someone else. But I was looking for how to do this also for a texture I wanted to animate in only one direction (could be either speed X or speed Y).

You can input a time with speed variable into the time pin on the panner to apply a parameter based value modifier to the speed.

43930-pannerspeedcontrol.png

If you set the speed you want to be controlled by a parameter on the material to be 1.0 you can then input a value between 0 and 1 to fine tune that speed as desired

This allowed me to have material instances providing a different speed parameter (even 0 for no rotation) worked like a charm

HTH

1 Like

works like a charm!

found this solution on an old UDK material tutorial it allows full control of the panner node via material instances

1 Like

I faced the same problem and I solved it this way:

81093-5b02663b2a56e545d461fefaab7e7c30.png

I think it is one of the simplest ways to do it so I hope it helps someone.

1 Like

I faced the same problem but with the two axis and I solved it this way:

81093-5b02663b2a56e545d461fefaab7e7c30.png

I think it is one of the simplest ways to do it so I hope it helps someone.

1 Like

I’m editing my original answer because it’s not correct. Look at Onion Potato’s answer. It’s the best and easiest.

Take a look at Onion Potato’s post right below the selected answer. It’s much easier.

This is the best answer. Thank you.
In the process I also discovered that you can use the MakeFloat2 node, which seems to work even better for this, and doesn’t require 2 panner nodes.

I realize this post is rather old, but since it seems to be relevant in search results, I’ll post the solution that I came across while trying some of the others here.

I’m not sure if this is a new , but you can simply use the MakeFloat2 component with two single value parameters to output a vector into the panner component.

This seems to be the simplest solution, and allows for panning on both axes.

1 Like

Cool. Maybe you could show how you do that with a jpeg so it’s clear for everyone else who stumbles across this question?

The image is too small to see. Would love to know what you did though.

This is the best answer. My solution caused the X to move slightly even when set to 0. Thanks for the answer Onion!

Glad to help! I’m still assuming this is a new , some of the older answers here are completely insane.

I know it’s an old post but thank you! This work perfectly!