How do I make tests that are not level based?

From my understanding, to make a test, you have to create a functionaltest and place it in a specefic map/level. How can I create tests that are not map based?

For example, how would I test if the unitpawn can do a certain action when they do not have health?
I also want to do performance tests, but I can not find any performance data in the blueprint. So I am wondering if there is something that I do not know about where I can create tests (smoke tests, functional tests, unit tests…)

You’re not going to get any help in regard to unit testing here. Most amateurs, indie developers, and game developers in general do not do automation or unit testing. This is frustrating, because useful testing knowledge in the forum is so scarce.

As of now, you can do unit tests where you just call methods on classes manually and assert something is true. As far as doing more integration-like testing that involves moving a Character in a map, I am 90% certain that you cannot escape creating a map/level/world.

Not a good answer, but that’s all I can share with you right now, I am too, lost in how unit testing works in Unreal Engine

1 Like