How do I make a Cracked Camera Lens Effect in UE5?

I’m working on a game right now, and i was want to have a cracked camera lens effect in the game, similar to how Outlast has it. (Reference image included)

But I have no idea on how to actually setup anything like that, and there are no tutorials. I tried just making a cracked lens overlay, which looked good, but in the game just felt flat and like an overlay, which I don’t want, as its supposed to look like the actual camera cracked.

Any suggestions, videos, or ways I can achieve this?

Reference Image: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Lookup making a HUD and you’ll quickly get a few ideas on how to do it

if i was to do it i’d do it with a widget blueprint which you’ll have to in your player blueprint call to the screen

You’ll have to make the widget also in this ex its called NewWidgetBlueprint

Hope this helps the yellow represents what you have to have and the purple basically shows that when you begin play its gonna do This, you could use a custom event like so as to call it later like when the player gets hurt etc

1 Like

I get how to add a Widget Blueprint, but idk how to get that effect of the game splitting along the cracks of the effect, which is the issue I am facing right now

1 Like

I think this is along the lines of what your looking for
make a user widget and add an image to it, then do as pictured

Screenshot 2024-04-01 175630

I think you need a post-process effect, which can use displacement to move pixels around, to simulate the light-bendy effect of a cracked lens.

1 Like

I think you’ll want some sort of voronoi texture (or any sort of black and white cracked texture) to kind of get that broken glass effect, then plug that into a Post Process material. Here’s a pretty simple setup I threw together, I’m sure it can be improved upon greatly.

I’m using substrate so not all of the nodes are the same. You’ll want to set your material domain to post process then go into the rendering features on your player camera and add it there or however you want.

Before

After

2 Likes

Yeah that worked, earlier I also just found a dirt mask pack on the UE Marketplace which had like cracked camera effects, which surprisingly enough works as well.