I am using a Geforce 470 GTX in the moment to develop using Unreal 4, the card is from 2010 but it still able to achieve quite decent framrates, however when doing this the card goes up to 100% usage and is very loud, what i always tend to do is limit the fps to 30 and reduce settings but i am not really sure how i would go about locking the editor to only use 30 fps?
I also do not want the card to die yet, will need to keep it for some months
Oh it wont die. I’m using the engine on a GTX 460 for several months now and it’s still alive. One thing you can do though turn real time off when you dont need it.
You might find an application like that but i wouldn’t suggest lowering the fan speed. Mine gets loud too but i dont mind it. I’m cool as long as my gfx is cool.
It’s definetly possible, however I don’t recommend it as change fan speed by force can damage your card. If you still interested, google app SpeedFan or similar, but be careful.
but i am not really sure how i would go about locking the editor to only use 30 fps?
On the top right corner of the main Editor window, there is a text box that says “Enter console command here”. Type “t.MaxFPS 30” to lock the Editor FPS to 30.
that worked for me thanks! my card was screaming (coil whine) rendering at 120 fps. Now its a smooth 60fps. Not sure why Epic don’t cap fps by default to 60.
t.MaxFPS=30 was best option before, but it didn’t worked for me in UE 4.17.1
For future readers: You can always use ‘Nvidia Profile Inspector’ to limit editor FPS.