How do I import and use custom fonts?

Ok looks like my problem is related to the import of the font. The font import Preview window should show your font rendering the sentence on a black background, and the sentence to render beneath it on a white background. It looks like I need to fiddle around with the Distance Scale Factor and Distance Field Scan Radius to get this to not be a bunch of random glyphs. I am confused but I will persevere. Good luck folks… :slight_smile:

@SebGrinke:

I was inspired to start throwing together a Wiki tutorial for this after trying to research and finding not a lot of helpful documentation in the area of fonts. This is a known area that needs some work so for the moment I am currently in the process of getting the rough draft done. I’ll get that up soon, but in the meantime I can help you out here with a few tips for getting some better results for your Font for TextRender Actor.

For your imported Font Texture that was rendered you’ll want to condense everything down to one page. Have you adjust the the Width/height and then reimported the asset? I have not tested this on a OSX, but if there is any problem I have access to a Mac that I can make sure everythign is working.

Great - thanks ! Do you mean Texture Page Width/Height? I just about got my font to work in the game world by messing around with the settings (which I don’t understand at all) but it still looks pretty poor. Imported another font tonight (American Typewriter) to use in the HUD and that one looks ok but it doesn’t render any spaces so the words are all jammed together. I’m afraid I don’t know if this is user error or an OSX issue on 4.5.1. It does seem to me that out of the box importing fonts is very hit and miss on OSX, so probably worth a look.

My experience with importing fonts is rather limited. I saw the hiccup happening here and figured I’d start looking into it and then found that there isn’t a lot of information to work off of. Most of my experience thus far is from looking at what’s in the engine and a lot of trial and error. I’ve really only imported fonts as a font texture and for use with TextRender Actors. I’m not sure if there would be a difference with UMG and the HUD. I’ll keep at it and see if I can work in a test on OSX soon. I’ll update with anything I find that may be helpful. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to render Chinese text with TextRenderActor/TextRenderComponent but have no luck, then I found this post and find myself was trying with ‘dynamically’ cached font while this post is suggesting a ‘offline’ cached one (signed distance field font).

So this basically means TextRenderComponent cannot render ‘dynamically’ cached fonts?

I have a UMG HUD which can render ‘dynamically’ cached font fine, so I’m thinking that should be possible with TextRenderComponent.

Chinese characters are way too many to bake into offline cache textures (which is absolutely a non-fun task), so ‘dynamic’ cache is my only rescue, please give me some pointer!

This is quite a bit different than the original post. Could you make a new thread for your question? That will help us track the answers better.

Plus all the points!

Cannot find Distance field in engine version 4.7.6

Got it. You have to switch the Font Cache Type from Runtime to Offline. Then all those options appear.

Thanks a lot!)

I love you ,
May the blessings of ripe virgins rain upon you.

Thank you ! You really helped my font problem :slight_smile:

Thank you !For all of people in this problem,after setting what said,you should change font on TexturerenderActor’s setting to your cuttom font,it defalut will make render wrong.

It is important that your font is only one 1 page. Had a ton of problems with gibberish showing before realizing this.

Cheers Mate, worked a charm !!!