How do I fix this error?

How do I fix this error?
The SDK for Windows is not installed properly, which is needed to generate data. Check the SDK section of the Launch On menu in the main toolbar to update SDK

4 Likes

You need to install the Windows SDK. It can be installed from VisualStudio, or you can get it here for Windows 10:

1 Like

i have windows 10 SDK v10.0.19041.0 and i still get this error building my server using UE5

1 Like

I have that exact windows SDK and I still have a problem building it!

UATHelper: Installing Sdk (Win64): C:\dev\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\ThirdParty\DotNet\Windows\sdk\3.1.403\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(4187,5): error MSB3021: Unable to copy file “obj\Development\BuildGraph.Automation.dll” to “…\Binaries\DotNET\AutomationTool\AutomationScripts\BuildGraph\BuildGraph.Automation.dll”. Access to the path ‘C:\dev\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\AutomationTool\AutomationScripts\BuildGraph\BuildGraph.Automation.dll’ is denied.

After further investigation, my problem appears to be folder permissions. However I have tried giving UE5 access to the folder directory (folders/subfolders/files/subfiles) and this problem still occurs

How i Fixed this problem

→ Fixed my folder permissions using - Step 1 Registry) 6 Tools To Take Ownership and Get Full Control Of Files and Folders • Raymond.CC
→ Upgraded my UE5 to the latest build - #8072
→ Built UE5 Development (Editor/Client/Server)
→ Opened my Project
→ Cleaned → BuildGraph.Automation
→ Built → BuildGraph.Automation
→ Built my Project Development (Editor/Client/Server)
→ Update Device (SDK)

The above steps fixed it for my situation

Had this after installing Visual Studio 2022 (Community) but without the updated Windows 10 files checked.

Fixed by installing the latest Windows 10 files for VS2022, then used the Update Device feature, and restarted Windows. Upon relaunching the editor the Windows 10 SDK is loaded.

2 Likes