How do i delete assets?

yes im actually on this website right now asking how to delete something. isnt that amazing? and all this after wasting time searching google and reading a dozen websites. still no idea how. amazing, right?

deleting a material. the textures. whatever it is. i get this idiotic message about references even though i deleted the item it was on. so can i press force delete without my project breaking? is this a safe thing to do? as you can see im really scared. but not as scared as wasting more of my life trying to look this normal functionality up.

Clicking Force is usually fine. Is it saying whether there are asset references or memory references? Quite often I find reloading the current map will remove in memory references.

What type of asset are you trying to delete? Could you post a screenshot of the warning you’re seeing?

yeah, so after a restart, its saying “first person example” and “overview”. not sure what that is referring to. unless its wanting me to delete my project first.

When it says that they are being referenced in memory it just means that the assets are included in the game’s memory. So if you were to sell this or download it, those assets would be included. I think. Anyway I’ve deleted assets like that before with no repercussions so it’s probably fine.

I actually think “Memory references” refers to references to the asset currently in memory in the editor. Restarting will remove these references.

The final solution: Open the Unreal Projects folder, find your project, open your content folder, find the metarial, and delete it. This worked for me.

1 Like

That’s probably what it is. Like I said I’m not sure.

Hi, from the given screenshot (334947-delete-assets-01.png) I think you have deleted or replaced the material but forgot to save the map, you better save both the map and try again.
For me it’s skeleton mesh, physics asset and skeleton which is referenced each other. So I hope it will be fine to force delete it al together.