How do I create a custom sequencer track?

I was wondering whether it is now possible to actually create a custom sequencer track, and if so, how to go about doing so. The last question I found on this topic is now well over a year old and since we are now about 5 versions ahead, I wonder if anything has changed.

I have done some digging in the engine, but it’s hard to form a picture of how sequencer works. It feels like how custom anim nodes work in structure (specific classes for the editor visualization on top of the custom anim nodes), but way more complicated. At the moment, I have no idea what takes care of the visual part in the editor and what actually takes care of the functionality itself (for instance, with a fade track, what actually causes it to fade).

The reason I need this is because I want a track that keeps looping until a specific condition is met. I have a game that works with text balloons and I wish for the sequencer to only proceed to the next cut/track once the player has finished the dialogue.

If you want an isolated example, you might take a look at the GeometryCache track (in 4.20).

The runtime classes are here:

Plugins/Experimental/GeometryCache/Source/GeometryCacheTracks

The editor classes are here:

Plugins/Experimental/GeometryCache/Source/GeometryCacheSequencer

4 Likes