How do I add footsteps sounds to my character? (In this specific scenario)

I am going to try an explain this the best I can, bare with me… I am still very new to using UE4.

I am building a first person game that involves no visuals (just 3D sound) for my finaly major project. The character at this current state is invisible (the game is aimed for the visually impaired) and is coded to move one step at a time but I am unsure of how to add footsteps sounds… I have tried to searching everywhere I know to find a solution to this ‘specifc’ probelm but I am really stuck. FIRE away with any follow up questions because I have no idea whether this actually makes any sense at all - Thank you in advance!

Just add this, it’s free:

EDIT: Scratch that obviously, wrong package, hold on…

EDIT2: Interesting, that free footstep plugin has disappeared…

So it’s back to:

Thank you! I will check this out and get back to you :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I cannot get that to work for me (I think it is beause of this image attached that I needed to make in order to make the FP Character move 1 step at a time). Thank you again for your help, I am a bit stumped on how to solve this issue now haha

330884-1step.png

Is is what you need, just ignore the fact he’s using animations. The crucial bit ( for you ) is at:

( this should play at 348 seconds ). The system depends on doing a line trace to the floor to find out what sort of material is there.

You can do this when you press W, doesn’t matter about animations :slight_smile:

Oh right, thank you! Will I still be able to do if my sounds are brought in through Wwise?

Audio Software basically. Because my game is based on entirely on audio, it is incredible for editing all kinds of sounds. You should check it out. You can intergrate wwise with UE4.

What’s wwise? :slight_smile:

So after the W key node, just put a play sound 2d node with the footstep.

Does that work for you?..

So… I decided for ‘footsteps’ I am just going to try working with the sounds in UE4 instead of wwise and I’m still not getting anywhere. I followed the instructions on the video you sent and also this one I have linked as well, and still no luck…I just need the ‘w’ key to make one footstep sound everytime it is pressed, is there another way of doing this?

Works perfectly… I am sorry for all the hassle, I guess that was a lot simpler then I though. Thank you all the same!

Ok, that’s good. I thought you wanted different sounds for different surfaces etc… :smiley: