How did you learn to use blueprints?

I am new with Unreal Engine and I don’t know how to start learning blueprints. I saw the tutorials in the main channel of Unreal Engine and still I don’t have idea how it works. So my question is how did you learn to use blueprients and how many time did it take you.

Blueprints is something new to me having previously worked with hardcore programming before in languages like java, C# etc. The methodology in a way is similar so if you’ve done programming before blueprint visual scripting will be a bit easier to understand. Still I was at a loss not knowing where to start with blueprints. I strongly recommend getting some exposure to standard programming. Visual C#, C++ or java is a great place to start. You can also use Python. Learn the fundamentals of creating basic variables, structured variables and complex objects like classes and working with events. Also learn how program logic is controlled. This is essential if you want to understand the inner workings of visual scripts or it will become very frustrating. Even if you dive straight into blueprint tutorials you will battle if you don’t understand what you are doing. Unreal being a Game Engine makes things also somewhat a bit easy as some visual scripting tasks are in a way standardised having similar signatures across most games. If you can find a book or resource that presents blueprinting in this manner you will be lucky. You can try this book its where I started “Blueprints Visual Scripting for Unreal Engine by Brenden Sewell” It uses the Unreal Engine Firstperson character blueprint template as a foundation and builds on increased complexity. It not exactly what I expected but is a good start for anyone with some programming background as it dives straight into blueprints but little focus on the fundamentals of visual scripting and how it correlates with programming.

Self taught. No previous programming knowledge. I get the basics down then learn as I go. It’s not impossible so keep at it. One thing at a time helps I’d follow along with the basic tutorials and mess about with nodes to enhance stuff or change it. And slowly over time things will click into place. One major thing that helped move things forward for me was

​​​​learning what variables are and how to manipulate them in blueprint. Then u can create small things. I will never forget the first time I learnt what a branch did with a Boolean variable lol

This tutorial is the way I did it -->> https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/…us-integration
You just need to follow trough doing what he does from start to end and you’ll be comfortable in blueprint in a matter of 3-4 days, though before of this I’ve spent 1-2 years learning C++ (as hobby, not full time) since I had no previous programming knowledge, and I think the C++ knowledge factor is also a huge component in the fact that that tutorial worked for me so well.
If you know already variables, flow control, data structures, inheritance, pointers and references and so on, you’ll just pick blueprint up really quickly.
So if you go the hardcore way by learning a base of C++, then this is the book → https://www.amazon.com/Programming-P…/dp/0321992784
I’m using blueprint from just a week and I could hook this up all by myself with no tutorials involed → WormPlayer_BP_Final posted by anonymous | blueprintUE | PasteBin For Unreal Engine 4 and I couldn’t do anything 2 years ago, so having C++ programming understanding is definetly a HUGE boost.

Between initially reading books and watching tutorials, experimentation and looking at docs when I had doubts on what a node did helped a lot. That and having mentors. Also, Discord/Slack groups can help out initially with newb questions.

1 tutorial learned pretty much all blueprints. ->

Sometimes learning Blueprint can be as easy and simple as looking in the official documentation.

That is how I learned most of my programming, combined with UE4’s official tutorial videos and trial-and-error experimentation.

I watched a basic light and door tutorial, after that it was all trial and error with teaching myself how to do it. And there are usually multiple ways to get what you are wanting done. Like a year ago someone made a topic asking how to do a camera fade. And one person replied with like 3 different ways to do it. And when I posted my reply he didn’t know about the way I did it.

So you can watch tutorials and learn that way, or go trial and error and find it which way works for you. Just have fun doing it. And good luck.

1 Like