Download

How complex would this project be?

Hello, I am not a complete noob to Unreal and starting on my own serious project! I have done heaps of little games before and now I feel that I am ready for a proper build.

My idea is of a multiplayer game similar to source forts, where two teams have a building phase where they can place defenses and traps similar rust with a gridlock system. After that, both teams aim to destroy the opposing teams “power source.” Now I also to plan to have very basic classes. What are some of the hardest aspects of this project?

Obviously it being multiplayer increases difficulty, I have a basic map so far along with basic movement atm.

I am planning on paying some freelancers for part of it and want to make them develop the hardest and complex parts?

Thanks Ben

To develop this is hard as a noob but I think if you learn some unreal and make test projects you can make such game also for multiplayer.

You need to learn something like Blueprint Basics and MP Replication…

Cheers!

You should start by locating marketplace packs and community tools that are related to what you want. But consider this… What you wrote above ‘is the game’. Its the most difficult part to get right. It will take the longest time and its the most likely to get broken between engine builds. So be careful not to deceive yourself here into thinking you can just outsource it all… Every week people post game ideas. But what they’re really looking for is someone to build the game for them, especially the difficult parts. But that’s not likely, as everyone else has their own projects and ideas, and ideas are cheap in gaming. So be concrete about your goal… What’s your budget exactly?

very hard to done gaming project with multiplayer option for noob but you can do it with hard work.

I have a large budget, that can expand as far as I need it to go. That’s why hiring freelancers would be a good option for me.

Yeah I expected the multiplayer to be quite difficult.

In that case, buy the functionality outright.
Follow some work-in-progress threads that are close to what you’re after.
Then contact the teams directly and make them an offer they cant refuse…
They’re more likely to sell parts of the underlying code than the whole project IP.
Ether that, or invest in their game and then cut a side deal later to license their code!
Can’t tell if you’re really serious, but this is what I would do if I had unlimited funds.
Its the fastest solution, you know the code works and you don’t have to re-invent the wheel.
Whereas hiring freelancers can be a vipers nest, decide after reading more posts about this.

In that case, buy the functionality outright!
Try to hire a Marketplace vendor who specializes in multiplayer and get a dedicated solution…

Failing that, follow several work-in-progress threads that are close to what you’re after.
Then contact the teams directly and make them an offer they cant refuse…
They’re more likely to sell parts of the underlying code than the whole project IP.
Either that, or invest in their game and then cut a side deal later to license the code!

Can’t tell if you’re really serious, but this is what I would do if I had unlimited funds.
Its the fastest solution, you know the code works and you don’t have to re-invent the wheel.
Whereas hiring freelancers can be a nest of vipers. Anyway, decide after reading more posts.

Kinda interested in your definition of “large budget”. If you are not able/willing to spend at least $ 1,000,000 you shouldn’t even start this project (this won’t be enough to finish it btw, but it will be enough to have a solid prototype which can be used for publisher pitches or crowdfunding). Online Multiplayer, multiple classes, building stuff - those things are very expensive to develop.

If you like to learn something about budgeting for a games project, feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Sascha