How can I use the Subtractive BSP on one Additive BSP Brush, not another?

Hi,

So I’m making a level in UE4, mostly using BSP brushes at the moment. I have a floor and a wall, both are made from Additive BSP brushes.

I want to create a Subtractive BSP brush on the wall to create a Door, but I do not want this to then subtract from the floor.

In this example, I have a sphere subtractive brush and I only want it to affect the wall (red arrow) not the floor (blue arrow).

Obviously, I could align it up perfectly, but say that there are multiple additive brushes in the vicinity, how do I ensure that this subtractive brush is only subtracting from the correct Additive brush that I want it to?

In a perfect world, I could assign the subtractive brush to one additive BSP, so that anything I place after is not affected by it.

You should be able to change the order of the BSP brushes. Set the floor to last so that the order would be something like:

1. Add wall
  2. Subtract door
  3. Add floor

Thanks, I did not know that subtractive only affect BSPs that came before them, while it is kinda a weird way of organising what affects what, I’ll try using this information with my level and see where I get!

Thank you and thanks to [the others on Reddit for helping me with this][1] I guess my main question is whether there is a tool or possibly an update coming to UE4 to allow more control over what BSP additive brushes the subtractive ones affect?

Does anyone know how to request that as a feature? It seems like a legit QOL thing that level designers could really use going forward.

Like a hierarchy system that allows you to define what brushes affect others?

[1]: