How can I update my data table after structure changes??

I have a data table that holds info pertaining to the races in my game. This houses many things, including “Languages” spoken by each race. Language is a UENUM. Everything worked fine, until I expanded by Language enum to include more languages.

Now, my widgets that try to use this data table won’t compile, and the data table itself appears to have no way to update to include the new languages…

Am I missing something, is this a bug, or is this feature just not quite supported yet?

For the record, the message that pops up when I try to compile my widget blueprint:

Can’t save …/…/…/…/…/…/Users/(Subdirectories)
/Blueprints/Widgets/
CreateAdventurerUIBP_Auto2.asset: Graph is linked to private object(s) in
an external package.
External Object(s):
HOTRELOADED_RaceDataStructure_0
/Engine/Transient
HOTRELOADED_ERacialLanguage_0

EDIT:

Actually… After I quit UE4, and chose to not save the data table… and then restarted the project, it failed with the (project name).dll error, rebuilt fine, and is now updated…

Is this just a current issue we have to deal with when changing data tables?

This is an issue you’re going to come along with any class, not just data tables. I find it happens when you are editing two instances of the project at the same time (for me the problem is the launcher not showing a splash screen on start so I assume I miss clicked but don’t realise I opened two instances and go on my merry way).

Hasn’t happened to me in a while so I can’t comment on loss of data or changes, but I’ll assume thats a thing, but this is where cloning or backing up projects every chance you get comes in I guess :slight_smile:

Agreed! I do keep an active repository. Thankfully it didn’t need reverted back to an old save.

For Data Tables, Data Assets, and sometimes Enums, you need to restart unreal to see the changes take effect.
Working with a hot-reloaded data table will cause all sorts of problems and eventually crash unreal. Best to just restart unreal immediately if you change structs to the above things. :slight_smile:

To be honest, when making changes in header files or major changes to structs / enums, hot-reload isn’t sufficient. If you see issues like this when you don’t expect them, best bet is to do a hard-restart in VS.

Will definitely be doing this in the future before my “wtf” mode kicks in :slight_smile:

Thanks for the responses everyone!