How can I texture a spiral made in blender imported into UE?

I created a spiral in blender by creating a 2d plane:

And then applying the screw modifier:

Giving me the result I want:

Now I want to put this into unreal and put a brick texture on it. Here is that texture, very simple:

The problem is no matter what settings I change for the material it is always stretched really weirdly on the spiral in unreal engine:

I have tried scaling and scaling just the horizontal or vertical and nothing seems to be working it stays stretched… I have no idea what I am doing wrong or why this is happening. Can someone please explain? How can I put a texture on my mesh!?

The blender file for the spiral is here if anyone needs it :slight_smile:

spiral.blend (812.0 KB)

And the uasset:

screwTest.uasset (57.4 KB)

Hi SamKeene,

As for an answer to ‘what you are doing wrong / why this is happening’ My professional response is “Cuz UVs”

Thanks for sharing the asset, I imported it into the engine and with the shiny new modeling tools was able to get a pretty good (but not perfect) result with the click of a button!

You can inspect the UVs with the Static Mesh viewer, in UE you may see 2 channels one of them is for lightmaps.

At this point you could use either Blender or UE to modify the UVs.

Let us know if you are still having troubles after digging into UVs!

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about blender but I asked the modeler. He said:

The Screw modifier does not appear to be applied in blender. Apply the modifier and then unwrap the UV, then export.

2 Likes

Oh wow, firstly thank you @Astrotronic for taking time to open up UE and trying out the uasset! Really appreciate the time you put in here :slight_smile: Secondly, thank you for showing me the modelling mode I honestly had no idea it existed.

The only question I would have would be whether it is possible to modify the UVs such that the bricks are always horizontal from the edge of the spiral towards the center. For example using the XFormUV I can rotate a section such that the first line of bricks is correct but as you go up the spiral this doesn’t hold:

Is it possible to fix this or will I just need to work around it?

You’re welcome! I see what you’re after and I’d need to poke around myself some more to give you a definite answer. (Gotta run today but I’ll be back tomorrow)

I do want to point out the ‘experimental’ UV Editor in unreal. (It is disabled by default right now) Also, what Eagletree mentioned about ‘order of operations’ in asset creation could also be a solution.

1 Like

@Astrotronic @eagletree

I tried to do that in blender, unwrap then export and it worked! The UV map is super ugly but I guess it needs to be like this to get the effect I want.

I think this is pretty much what I was looking for :slight_smile: SO much to learn with modelling and materials and what not! I’m having to step out my comfort zone as a programmer but its great fun!

Thanks again all :slight_smile:

1 Like