How can I store and return a spring arm to a relative rotation after the parent has been rotated?

Due to this issue:

I can’t seem to find a way to return a spring arm to a specific relative rotation once the parent actor has been manually rotated. For example, the following doesn’t work (all inherited rotation and controller rotation is off):

I’d like to keep the camera locked in place (not inheriting the parent rotation) and then later return it to its original relative rotation. Does anyone know an easy workaround for this?

Did you actually try this in the example that I posted? I don’t think it has any effect. Am I using it wrong?

You did? So you were able to return the spring arm to its original relative position regardless of the actor’s world rotation? Could you show me the blueprint?

For the purposes of this question, I’m just using the default 3rd person template with the only modifications being the screen shot above and all “inherit rotation” checkboxes unchecked on the springarm.

I mentioned what I’m trying to accomplish in the original post:

“I’d like to keep the camera locked in place (not inheriting the parent rotation) and then later return it to its original relative rotation.”

Yeah i did.
What is the purpose of the spring arm behavior used for? What are you trying to accomplish with it? What does your component hierarchy look like? Send us a link to the file if you can.

In case anyone is curious, I found a solution. Note, the “Starting Rotation” rotator variable here has to be hard coded to be the default relative rotation and can’t be set at runtime due to the issue linked in the original post.