How can I set the mesh on a BP-spawned static mesh?

I want to spawn static meshes in the World Outliner via a BP. This is meant as a tool for level generation purposes. Currently I am trying to use:

I am adding a static mesh component, because I don’t seem to be able to set the static mesh of the static mesh actor. Is there a way to do that?

As far as I know this might be an issue related to the static mesh component being set to static in its mobility options. But the mesh is spawned with this setting and I cannot find a way to change it.

I am considering a workaround where I spawn the actor (or some placeholder) and then replace it with the static mesh actor I want. In the editor viewport, when I rightclick on an object I can select “replace selected Actors with”. That is exactly the functionality that I want. Is there a way to automate that via blueprints?

• I am currently using an Actor Blueprint with what I believe to be Blutility functionality in Unreal 4.11.2.

This may answer some of your questions:

Thanks Mellark! - Seems like it’ll require some C++ to get it to work without spawning blueprints.