How can I Set Materials in a Child Blueprint?

Hi All,

So I have a function within an AI Parent Blueprint that changes the material of pawn when it is overlapped for 6 seconds…and then it changes back to it’s original material (it starts off with a basic orange material and when overlapped it changes to blue for 6 seconds before changing back to orange.)

Within a CHILD blueprint, I want this material to change from a base PINK material, then to BLUE when overlapped…and then back to PINK.

I can easily change the base color of my child BP…and BOTH change to BLUE (as intended) when overlapped…but how do I get my CHILD to change back to a PINK color instead of its parents ORANGE color after that 6 second timer is up?

It’s like I want to be able to modify the blueprint script of the parent just SLIGHTLY to get my child bp to make the appropriate material switch!

Hey VagrantProfile-

Can you show how you’re changing the material? Please include how the parent is changing from Orange->Blue->Orange as well as how the child is changing from Pink->Blue->Orange (should be Pink, correct?). Please include screenshots of your setup to provide a clear understanding of what you’re doing.

I figured out a was to resolve this! I promoted all materials I wanted to change to variables in the parent…thus allowing me to set them as desired on the child.

Much appreciate your reply though!