How can I save my level at Runtime in the .umap file?

Hello :slight_smile:

I would like to save my level on server side, and I need to know the better solution to do this.

I already read this great wiki write by Rama, About read/write binary files in UE4 :
A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums,Read%26_Write_Any_Data_to_Compressed_Binary_Files

Also i see this interesting documentation about Save Game:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Gameplay/SaveGame/Blueprints/index.html

It’s possible directly to register the level in the .umap file?

Thank you in advance :smiley:

Jackblue

Bump ! I need an answer please :slight_smile:

Hey Jackblue,

I don’t think there is an easy way of doing it.
You might want to make your own format.

Try looking at the engine’s source code. Maybe a good start: Engine/Source/Editor/UnrealEd/Private/FileHelpers.cpp file.

I believe you can do it as a “mod” since unreal now has mod support. I don’t think any other method will work, and you can’t use engine functions (source code) in your own game/project afaik, licensing issue. I believe they created a new mod forum you can go check out.

That’s wrong actually, you’re free to use any ue4 engine code you want in your ue4 project. Are you referring to “Ark: Survival Evolved” when you mention ue4 having “mod support”? because that’s completely unrelated to ue4 in general.

Iirc, you can’t use editor code / modules in your packaged game.

Yeah, I think you’re right, I was being too general when I said “any ue4 engine code”, you might be not be able to include editor specific stuff in your packaged game, but I’m pretty sure you can use the non editor related engine code how you see fit. This seems like kind of a gray area, and if you’re ever in doubt its probably best just to ask epic directly.

Yea the license seems to have changed. Its now quite muddled up whats allowed and what is not. What is en Engine tool? Now lawyers could say “This is an engine tool. Stop doing that!”.