How can I pass orientation as a quaternion in blueprint?

Hi All,

I have a motion controlled IK rig where the hand objects are rotating just fine with the Motion controller input. No gimbal flips there.
But when I take that scene components world orientation and apply it in the character Anim Blueprints I get various gimbal problems.

Does anyone know a good way to do this?

Cheers

You might be able to make your own Quat type in BP along with supporting functions. You’d make a structure and accompany it with a function library. That isn’t a great idea but it does avoid jumping into C++ to make a wrapper class or expose a core engine type to BP manually.

Mm…thanks yes but that would take me some time just to figure it out and right now that is a bit much for me.
Feels like then it might even be easier to make it in code as all the explainers online would be in code too.

Quaternions are not a thing in Blueprint, due to Epic not exposing them.
Epic wants to keep Blueprints userfriendly, so they limit it to Rotators (don’t argue about it , I’m with you!).

If you need quaternions and you don’t want to recreate them in Blueprints (which I also can understand),
you might want to use Rotator->Quaternion functions from C++ and do the rest in C++.

If, however, you can’t use C++, then it might be out of reach for now.

Ok yes I think probably to do this it should be done in code.
I’ll have to put it on the maybe-to-do-later shelf for now.

Cheers,