How can I make a news section on the main menu?

I see games that have a news bar that scrolls across the top of their launcher sometimes when they want players to see important information. The text is usually in big red letters.

My question, I won’t be using a launcher. I’ll have a main menu that goes something like this

New Game
Load Game
Settings
Exit

So my question is, how would I go about having important info that goes somewhere on that main menu that I can change easily? Do I just edit my main menu widget every time and push the update to steam or is there a way to link a text from an external website somehow?

You can use HTTP requests. For example: Use the VaRest plugin, create a call to an URL where you store a JSON string. From this string you would get a text and if the text is not null or empty or has a certain length, display a text field inside your main menu.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll mess with that and see what happens.

1 Like

Do you happen to know of a free text website where I can call the json string from? I’ve tried a few and it didn’t work, but I watched a tutorial on youtube and they gave out a jason string example website and it works perfect, but I can’t edit the text on the sample site.

Last time I used thingspeak. You can create a channel and then get something like a news feed from it.
Test this link with a GET request and look at the description :slight_smile:

https://api.thingspeak.com/channels/1761976/feeds.json?results=1

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll test that out. Not working like the youtube tutorial i did worked, but I’m sure it’s something I’m messing up so I’ll get it fixed.

2 Likes

Thank You! The tutorial had me do this

2 Likes