How can I make a grappling hook?

Pretty self-explanationy.

PT 1: https://www…com/watch?v=ym1hseCJl7c&list=UUEPTMZtcqG0-nsi1DtsKg_Q

PT 2 : https://www…com/watch?v=1wTecExBm9o

Hi ,

Have a look at this tutorial I wrote up last week here:

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I went thru that tutorial, but I couldnt figure out how to get rid of the rubberbanding effect, and to get the player to stay in place once he reached the goal.

Hi ,

Try adjusting the branch nodes after your timer to accomodate a wider margin for error. By increasing this float value you give yourself more space to slow the character down. Further still, you can, once the branch value registers as false, set a temporary vector value of your player location, then force the grappling hook to set your character to that location until whatever other parameters you need to set are met. This will hold the character at the end point of your grappling hook until you determine that you want it to let go. The branch I am referring to is located below.

Awesome thank you! I had to add some ConsumeMovement nodes, and a “Stop movement immediately” node, once I released the player his previous velocity affected him and I went flying up into the air. While fun, not what I want.

Is there a way to negate gravity tho? If I’m attempting to grapple onto something on a horizontal from my location, I fall downwards and the grapple fails.

can you show me a screenshot or video of what you mean? What you can probably do is add force in the opposite direction of gravity or add an additional value to your Z when launching the character, that way it negates the affects of gravity. You can find what your gravity is currently set to in world settings, then offset by a positive amount to maintain your character in air.

I know this is more of a question, but can you detail what exactly is connected to the Close Gate Function? Because the guide confused me, and the picture shows the sequence node connected to something off picture. Also, if I wanted to create a rope actor to show a rope being shot out, how would I connect that to the main function?

• Thanks for making this tutorial. I’ve been trying to figure out how to make a grapple system for the last week and i’m still just hitting a brick wall.

Your tutorial explains each part of the blueprint very well, however it is desperately needing a section that explains how each part connects to each other. Even if this is just a screenshot of the entire graph. As is, I have no idea how to get this working.

Hi venain,

Here is the screenshot of the full setup:

The way it should be set up is after the event pressed (G), you should run the trace. That execution should run into your branch/Cast to node. If the cast succeeds, send the execution to the gate for pulling an enemy, if it fails, send it to the gate to pull towards objects. If you need any additional info please let me know, I’ll be happy to explain more!

Hey great tutorial, just one question. My actor is dragging on the floor when being dragged. How can I lerp some distance above the ground untill I get pulled in.

Try adding to your vinterp z to see if that helps.

Great explanation, but there’s a slight problem of it grapples onto a moving object. The grapple stays locked onto the initial grapple location so if you grapple a moving object, you just stay floating in the air.

You can get rid of that rubber band/ cable effect by setting the visibility False, IDK if its gonna work for you but it did work for me!!