How can I have a basic character movement setup instead of a free-flying camera?

I have quite a bit of coding experience – apps in java, tower defense games in swift, php, html, sql – yet I am quite new to Unreal and the like. I have been having trouble figuring out the basic movement of my character. I didn’t know what I wanted to make at the start, so I picked a blank new project with no starter content. I have made quite a bit of work on a map, but I cannot figure out how to implement a moving camera in first-person without the camera being able to fly wherever. I have tried to import FirstPersonBP blueprints from the first-person starter content folder to my blank project level, but it just doesn’t work.
I’m hoping this is a really quick fix, but I just can’t figure out how to use playerstart as a first person character instead of a first person flying camera. Any help would be awesome!
The only other option i was thinking is importing my map to a project that already has a pre-made first-person setting? In which case it still has the mechanical arms and shoots balls… which I couldnt figure out how to take out in the first place from my first-person projects. I know this might sound like a really lame problem but I could not find any tutorial videos or strings that talked about something this basic.

I added a picture of my unlit map just to show where the playerstart location should be, but if I try to use a first-person blueprint it does not change any of the movement controls.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Jake

Hi, Jake.

Try creating a blueprint as a Character and have these nodes. You will need to setup controls under Edit>Project settings> Input. You may also need to create a Gamemode and set the character as the default pawn if you haven’t already! You can do this by going to Blueprints>Edit Gamemode > Default Pawn set your player.
Walking Blueprint

Mouse input:

Yes! Fast response yo! This is what I was looking for, thanks a lot. :slight_smile: I knew there was a way to create one I just wasn’t exactly sure how to get there.

edit: oh and with that here’s a tutorial to explain what’s happening Unreal Engine 4 - Beginners Guide to Player Input (1/2) - YouTube

I’m now getting an error that appears every once in awhile and doesn’t stop until I restart my computer. It happens right when I alt+enter to switch over to my oculus rift.

MachineId:D5FE613B49147B5F0D42BD8A74CE10A9
EpicAccountId:fc306c16634c46d3b87d9f3d15fc9da6
Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

KERNELBASE
UE4Game!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize()
UE4Game!FOutputDevice::Logf__VA()
UE4Game!FDebug::AssertFailed()
UE4Game!OculusRift::FViewExtension::PreRenderViewFamily_RenderThread()
UE4Game!FDeferredShadingSceneRenderer::RenderTiledDeferredImageBasedReflections()
UE4Game!TGraphTask<FRendererModule::BeginRenderingViewFamily'::17’::EURCMacro_FDrawSceneCommand>::ExecuteTask()
UE4Game!FTaskThread::ProcessTasks()
UE4Game!FTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit()
UE4Game!RenderingThreadMain()
UE4Game!FRenderingThread::Run()
UE4Game!FRunnableThreadWin::Run()
UE4Game!FRunnableThreadWin::GuardedRun()
kernel32
ntdll

I’m not sure what causes this but I’m assuming it has something to do on my end so I’ll keep looking around to find the cause. I’m just curious because it hasn’t started at all until I put in the first-person controls, and it is now global on all levels and projects I’ve made, including ones that don’t even use the newly-added controls.

Glad I was able to assist.