Download

How can I get VS intellisense to work properly all the time with Unreal code?

This is really really really frustrating, sometimes I do something as basic as adding an #include and suddenly red squiggly lines all over the place, and the worst thing is that Intellisense completely stop working, and if you’re a begginner (like me) then that makes it for a very bad experience… xD
Any tricks I can employ to improve the situation and maybe have it break less often, or even not at all? :confused:
I’m fine if you tell me nothing can be done for the red lines, I just want Intellisense to keep behaving no matter what x_x

You need visual assist. It’s pretty much mandatory for any large code base.

I must say I actually prefer Resharper C++ these days. But one of these two is a must, yes.

If you add /Yu to NMake it is better but far from perfect

I’m just beginning with UE4 myself, but as far as I can tell, the issue is with the need to force the tool suit to regenerate the .generated header files and read them. I think you can avoid this headache a bit by, whenever you can, only including the libraries on the .cpp file and by maybe using the “Engine.h” header, which includes several common headers in one go for you. I’m sorry if this doesn’t help, but it has saved me some time at least.

• you absolutely need visual assist
  • the problem with adding one include turning the entire file red might be fixed in 4.18

Thanks for the answers guys, though, there is no free alternative to Visual Assist and Resharper C++?

When you see the red squiggles, compile and run the editor; then File > Refresh Visual C++ Solution. Exit the editor. Visual Studio will ask about the solution changng, then select Reload. Squggles should be gone.

You can also run your editor fro the Epic Game Launcher and do the Refresh command.

Instead of starting the editor just right click the uproject file and chose “regenerate project files”

I’ll try that, thanks :smiley:

In the future, you may want to consider uploading screenshots of this particular issue. It can better help us understand the problem if we can visually see it.

I have re-sharper and it doesn’t work. Still not getting any suggested functions on unreal components etc.

Visual Assist works and it is also cheaper, I get in touch with it from a suggestion at the Tom Looman’s course at Udemy’s Unreal Engine 4 Mastery: Create Multiplayer Games with C++, where Tom uses it during the course, and from there I can’t let it go.