How can i fix the grass tool when applying RVT with world composition?

Hello!, I’m using UE4, version is 4.27.
i’m decorating the world using 16 heightmaps with world composition.
and the world’s size is 4033x4033.
i’ve procedurally generated grass on a specific layer using landscape grass tool.
However, when placing a thin staticmesh on the ground, the grass through it.

In an attempt to solve the issue, i was search and applying Runtime Virtual Texture(RVT).
after conducting some tests, it seemed to work quite well with smaller world size.
however, when using world composition, it appears that some adjustment needed.
Unfortunately, i lack the necessary knowledge in this area, and i’m unsure about what modifications are required.

it would be appreciated if you could help me. i would be truly grateful and happy. :slight_smile: :partying_face:

Here is a picture

:arrow_up: This is a my landscape material

:arrow_up: the boundray between the grass and rock looks weired.

:arrow_up: this is the unplugged version.

:arrow_up: it’s not working. so, i think the first approach is correct.

:arrow_up: This is a my grass material. that pin connected to the world position offset.

fig6_StoneMat

:arrow_up: This is a rock material.

What should i fix?
i’m not sure… i’d appreciate any keywords or guidance. Thankyou!!

and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :partying_face: :tada:

Work around it.
Act on the grass instead of the landscape.

Basically. Discard RTV.

Make your own system that affects grass near the camera/player. Using a screencapture2d and a render target.
Like snow trails, or grass deformation.

Then you add the item/rock whatever to the list of things that are rendered in the render target that controls the grass.

Then in the grass material you account for the render target using world position.
And the grass just doesn’t show up depending on what you render/rtv settings.

Costs a bit, but it will always work and also allow for a more dynamic gameplay environment.

RTV can do this too, but it would then affect the landscape paint layers or grass nodes. The resolution on those is horroble for large landscapes if you want to keep rendering costs sane.

I know of no way to take the existing rtv render and use it esewhere.
But its an image and it has to be in memory even during gameplay. If you want to hack a way out of the engine you probably can…

Thank you for response!
it’s quite challenging for me haha
but i’ll give it try gradually

Thank you so much! Happy New Year :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.