How can I fix my mesh in RC so I can sculpt the mesh in Blender without the texture breaking?

I have a mesh of a pillow that I created with RC.  The mesh will be used to create photorealistic images and videos, some using cloth physics.  I need to be able to use the sculpting tools in blender in order to smooth some areas out and alter the shape of the pillow. However, when I attempt to use the smooth sculpting tool, or the cloth physics brush, my texture breaks!!  See below?

What’s causing this and how can I fix it?

Hi,

this behavior is as expected, as your texture is mapped onto the model and it will also be sculpted, thus distorting it. So long as none of your sculpted changes are too drastic, you might have better luck bringing the model back into RC and texturing it again, but if the surface has moved too far away from it’s original position this will not get great results either. 

Thank you for the response.  I am trying this now.  I’ve smoothed out some parts and recreated the back part of the pillow so there is no hole.  But once I import the model (MESH MODEL>Import>Import Model), the model fails to load and I get the error attached error messages.

How do I fix this so I can import my model and retexture it?

If it helps to know my work flow so far this is it:  After I export the obj from RC, I import the obj into MeshMixer.  I found this to be a great tool to repair holes.  It does an amazing job adding geometry that matches the surrounding areas.  I export the obj from MeshMixer and then import this into blender, where I did some further smoothing.  I exported the obj from Blender and then tried to import it into RC and got the errors above.

Did you make some kind of rotations of your model in third party softs?

There is a strict workflow that you should be using when working with the 3rd party software and when you want to bring this model back to RealityCapture for texturing.

Before Exporting your scaled model from RealityCapture using distance constraint (keep in mind that scaling the model should be executed before reconstruction and texturing). So it will work properly in other programs.
Always Export  rcinfo file  with model to preserve rotation and scale
When importing and manipulating with the model to the 3rd party program and don´t rotate it or scale it in any way
Before importing the model don´t rename it - if the exported model from RC was called 01.obj and it also has 01.mtl file, it should also have 01.obj.rcinfo with 01_u1_v1.png texture file (if after any export for some reason you cannot use these file names, then rename then back to original before importing to RC).
This way all the scales and rotations will remain unchanged.

I appreciate the help, unfortunately, it’s not working for me.  I did change the rotation before, in the past, but I started again, and left the rotation alone, I left out Blender too to try it one step at a time.  I imported the model into MeshMesher, where it reconstructed and covered the hole that was in the bottom, then I exported and saved the model over the same obj file name.  

When I reimported back into RC, I got a different error message.  “Importing Model: Operation Failed”… that’s all it tells me.

So perhaps I don’t know how to use the software well enough.  Unfortunately I’ve run out of time for this project and have to move forward with what I have.

Thanks again for trying to help me out.

Hi, 

when exporting from blender, please select only your model, then export as an obj, and check the “selection only” box, make sure you are not writing materials. Also sometimes you get this message if RC does not like the unwrap, so if the above method does not work try to use blenders “smart UV project” unwrap method

regards,

A quick tip for sculpting with Blender: if you use scrape and flatten brushes, the polygons and thus the texture won’t get distorted like they would with the smooth brush. Obviously there are limits but the nature of the smooth brush is to equalize the edge lengths which obviously will create the blurry patches you showed. Alternatively if you were to create a unifornmly remeshed version of your scan first using let’s say Zbrush’s dynamesh or ZRemesher the smoothing-distortion effect is also minimized to some degree.

If you didn’t alter the position/rotation/scale of your object at all in Blender you can copy the original rcinfo file and name the duplicate modelfilename.obj.rcinfo.