How can I access this actor and play it in my character blueprint?

I had imported an animated VDB (it contains animated smoke) to the unreal engine, and I assigned it a sparse material volume; so for this to actually play in the game, it needs to be in a “HeterogeneousVolume.”
I need this to play from a position like where the barrel of the gun is, but I don’t want it to follow the gun or the character that this gun is attached to, so I thought if I put this “HeterogeneousVolume” in my character blueprint, there wouldn’t be any way to make this play from where I specify but not follow the character. I created an “Actor” blueprint and put the “HeterogeneousVolume” in there, and I didn’t create any nodes or variables for this blueprint, but in my character blueprint, I tried to access it and make it play like this:

And I get errors like this, which I believe means that I’m not accessing the actor I want correctly:

There is another node named “SpawnActor” which spawns every layer that I have in my actor blueprint, but I still don’t know how to make the “HeterogeneousVolume” play because it seems I’m not accessing it correctly.

How can I access this actor and play it in my character blueprint?

Controlling the position of “HeterogeneousVolume” would be the other problem I will face, but for now I have to know how to play it in my character blueprint.

For me to understand better, I wanted to try putting my sphere with an actor blueprint into my character blueprint, and I did it like this:

The above means that on Event BeginPlay, we try to set the “Sphere Ref” if it is not valid, and if it was valid, then I plug that “Sphere Ref” as a target to the “My sphere” node and then I change the transform of it; this does not throw any errors, but I still don’t see any spheres in the game.

But why am I not seeing the sphere in the game?

I didn’t know I had to drag my actor blueprint into the world so that it could work!! Without dragging it into the world, it wasn’t working.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.