how are you learning all of this

I have gone through these forums and seen all the blueprints that everyones making and I keep seeing how everyone says its really easy to create gameplay with blueprint. However I have been through the beginner tutorials on blueprint, but I cannot seem to grasp how to use it effectively. How did everyone here get to their skill level, because most tutorials just show what to hook up but dont really explain why or how they came up with using a specific node.

Learning by doing, that’s the key to success :smiley: -> and when you have problems with something ask a question in the forum/answerhub

Picking apart the templates is a good idea. Load up 3rd person or flying template, see how it works.

Blueprints might be a little confusing initially. I’m still regularly learning new things about blueprints. But, to get up and running I’d say start simple. Make something really easy, find a tutorial, and tweak it a it.

Also, ask on the forums! Ask! Ask! Ask!

As you go along you’ll find blueprints become more intuitive to use.

After about a week or two you’ll start to understand termology, and how everything works. is good, even if you run into a problem. Knowing termology will help you find answers to your questions quicker.

From there it’s mostly just thinking logical; thinking how to piece your blueprint together.

Also download the sample projects from the “Learn” tab on the launcher to see how they were created. The Content Examples project has hundreds of examples on how to use UE4.

And make sure to check out all of the training videos on Epic’s youtube channel here: https://www.youtube/user/UnrealDevelopmentKit/playlists

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

Try my latest books ;)? - ://www.kitatus.co.uk

And don’t forget the Youtube tutorial series about most parts of the engine from Epic, TeslaDev and so many more.

They really help. Seeing a workflow and what other people do to create something is helping quite a lot especially at the beginning. Just try to recreate a few things, change them up a little, mash them together and get something remotely playable just for fun and showing off :wink:

Try to pick a really small game from your past that you liked.
Or try to pick a medium size one and try to recreate certain behavior.

Maybe a specific Inventory System, a Movement System, a Combat System, an AI System or something else.

Or try to create something with more logic. Try to pick the one that fits best to your beginner state.

If you stuck on something you know that is as far as you can go by now.
Then start searching and asking for help to understand and solve you problem.
Then move on.

It will take time but it is a lot of fun if you manage to create something awesome.

Content Examples has some great resources, including a Math hall that shows the basics of Vector math, something you’ll want to be familiar with when it comes to game Development!

As already said, a lot of knowledge just comes from spending time in the engine :slight_smile:

Try to find tutorials that have a purpose. I started with a lot of the general stuff and got a good understanding how the node system works and color coding, etc. It wasn’t until I did some tutorials like Kitasus’ books that went through a lot of the general stuff to reach a specific goal that it started to click. Once that happened, I was able to start deciding what I wanted to try out and then find more specific tutorials from there. It certainly takes time, so don’t get discouraged. It’s a great community here so keep asking questions and check out the AnswerHub as well.

I just jammed my arms in up to the shoulders and started messing with stuff based on Googling and guesswork.

I’ve had to go back and refactor some stuff that I did stupidly as I learned better ways, but IMHO the fastest way to learn how something works is just to make it work by hook or by crook and in the process learn not only what does and doesn’t achieve the goal you had in mind, but start to piece together WHY and understand the underlying logic of the system.

Trial and Error, doing Tutorials and working on actual projects with certain problems to solve and find its way step by step. Go ask on Answerhub and her in the forums. The community is very helpful.

I say start with whatever genre/game you think about redesigning most The game that you would be.motivated year after year to work on. Then figure out the core aspects and systems of that game. Build those systems brick by brick. Realize that you are going to rewrite those systems again and again. isn’t a waste of time. It is evidence you are.learning.

Most importantly never give up. Things are hard but you can figure it out, especially with the help of community. Keep chugging and some day your project will be complete.

you keep coming back to these forums and if you see that i am actually making progress, then you should be too. if not, you need to spend more time trying

because the most c++ i have ever written is ‘hello world’ and im in the same situation you are, ive just started

Also when trying to create projects, break what you’re trying to do down into smaller parts, don’t try to get the end result right away. My first system I tackled was an inventory system, it was pretty scary at first, but once you realize all the parts to it and think about what is needed first, second, third, etc. and do each one it really helps. These forums are great though, there are a ton of people who help out just to help out and want nothing in return.

Additional tip: When you’ll understand how to do basic things like trigger opening doors, turning on lights, etc. (for example, from tutorials at official Unreal Engine YouTube channel) then, to understand Blueprints better, learn about basic object-oriented programming concepts, like what classes are and how to use them - it really helps. For example, THERE is a long tutorial from one of the community members :slight_smile: And there are many other tutorials, just look about things like classes, objects, functions, interfaces, etc.
Then start to make some simple game project. If you can’t figure it out how to achieve something, google for some tutorials, and if there isn’t any, you can ask on UE4 AnswerHub. Then implement it in your game and continue. Repeat that process until your first simple game is finished and you are happy and more experienced! :slight_smile: Gamedev is satisfying process, you see of your doings almost immediately, in attractive way - that itself should keep you motivated. Just grab some patience, mix it with cool ideas and coffee and go for it!
Practice, make cool things and never give up! As your project will become more complex and more awesome, there probably will be some bugs or problems in your way. But you’ll crush them into pieces and keep going! (insert random inspirational music here)

thanks for all the great replies

was how I felt. We’d watch what everyone else was doing thinking, how the hell are we going to make something that we can be proud of when people are making such cool stuff. I would spend ages bouncing around watching Tutorial videos and stuff. Then a little while I was able to make something (albeit reasonably simple) on my own without really stressing about about it. It was an amazing Erica moment where I realised that although it felt like I was getting no where, it was slowing sinking in.