How are Fortnite characters modelled, skinned, clothed

Hi,
I’m wondering how exactly fortnite has approached their character development. I’m assuming the different skins are definitely seperate meshes all using the same skeleton therefore interchangeable but how are the clothes approached. Are they models or part of the textures. Everything else in the game used for customisation i guess is added to sockets like backpacks and contrails. I’m asking because I want to be able to allow my character to change clothes and want to know the best way to go about this.

There are multiple video on how Fortnite was developed by none other than Epic Games themselves. Just search on youtube for them. I like this one for its details and it also answers much of what you asked.

Thanks for the info. I guess I wasnt using the right search terms

1 full skeleton for head + morphs.
1 full skeleton for body / clothes.

Accessories are attached actors with their own skeletal mesh. You can notice if you play the game xD

Hi @ahuss ,

I’m a huge fan of Player customization and its a subject I deeply research, design and develop for. There are different ways to approach it, but, the goal is to pull off customization features you want, while maintaining performance (minimum drawcalls) with consideration to MorphTargets/Deformation, Parts Swapping, Material Swapping, Skeletal Animations, and Network Replication. I found some great inspirations in the GDC Talk Building Customizable Characters for Destiny

Other challenges exist in the content creation process. Some Artist say designing modular parts/pieces and materials is 10 x more difficult, requiring more planning and testing. I found it very difficult to contract 3D Modelers who had experience with modular workflows. This difficulty forced me to start learning to model myself and I discovered the technique of 3D Kitbashing. This also becomes a concern of performance as more parts, create more drawcalls.

With the concept of KitBashing, I identified 4 kitbashing categories, that I believe could be used in the modular construction of all Game Entitles: Organic, Garments, Mechanical, Architecture.
Playing with the Spore Creature Creature helped me figure out how could approach Organic Kitbashing for Humanoids, Creatures, Plants. These are entities that typically have smooth seams where joints connect and Weights used to bind mesh vertices to one or more bones to blend properly when animating.

My approach is to use a Base Body and attached parts to the exterior. I’m still working out how ill handle garments.

Thanks alot everyone. Especially @TechLord This info is going to help alot. Also, is there a chance you’re taking contracts to model characters.

Coincidentally, I know a Team particularly interested in modular characters and creatures. You can discuss with them on their discord. You will find me there too. They’re doing something unique and I like what they’re doing. Do you have a portfolio?

@TechLord Thanks for the discord link. ill check it out. I am not a character modellor, but researching to find what will be the best method for my games characters.