How And Why Is My Landscape Moving After I Sculpt?

This happens to me far too often and I don’t know why. I’ll sculpt out some nice stuff with the landscape and it looks great until I play. When I play, the sculpted spots change size and such when I walk up to them. It’s hard to explain without posting a video but lets say i build a 20 ft tall hill. As the character walks toward the hill, it will either stretch to be taller, or start to get smaller. I used the standard sculpting tool and tried smoothing some parts out but I don’t have a clue.

I wonder if it is related to the materials you are using for your landscape. Some materials can transform vertices of the mesh they’re applied to based on literally anything, including viewing distance.

Before diving in, check and see if the same thing happens with default material or something else very simple.

is probably the inbuilt lod system which deforms the landscape as you get further away. its a optimization feature and im sure theres a way to disable it but i never really tried yet. try setting maxlodlevel to zero in the details panel when you have the landscape selected. if you move toward and away from where its been sculpted without issue or deformation then you know its a lod issue and you can work from there.

Thanks this worked for me! Useful content from 2018, nice :slight_smile: