Hovercar is Bouncing Back Hard Off of Ramps

Greetings! My current issue is that my hover car, which I have built using a floating box and 4 ray trace components that act as constant springs off of the ground, is unable to climb even the smallest of ramps without colliding with the ramp and being sent back very hard, faster then I came in. My assumption as of right now is that when I hit the ramp, the “springs” in the ray trace compress quite hard and then release and send it flying back.

My question is how to avoid this situation entirely. I have 4 single line traces that are constantly checking for changes in terrain that keep my car afloat, but adjusting the strength of the spring, the damping, or the height doesn’t seem to help. If I go too high in height, it looks silly and still doesn’t work with any ramp above 10 degrees. Any smaller and I have trouble even with 5 degree ramps. Essentially what this means is that unless my entire play surface is flat, my car won’t be able to navigate it and I don’t know how to counter the problem.

Any help or advice on this issue would be much appreciated. Even alternative methods of keeping the car afloat would be awesome, so long as I can drive this car over normal surfaces without freaking out. I’ve done some research and I ran into “shape casting” from this Skylander’s GCU example that excited me, but I couldn’t find any reference to it online, so yet another dead end. So, now I’m turning here to hopefully get some clarification.

Hey, maybe adjust CenterOfMass, MassScale and InertiaTensorScale. The first two should be fine.

341524-hovercar.jpg

I use a TraceLength of 80, LinearDamping 1, AngularDamping 0,6 and HoverForce 400000 with the HoverComponent

I appreciate the answer, but it doesn’t appear to be working. The hover component in itself does work (though it does come with a lot of tipping over, not sure where that’s coming from). I turned off my previous suspension components, replaced them with just one hover component, tweaked my speed a little to match the now dragging damping force and hoped for the best. Unfortunately the collision and knock back happened all the same.

I also already had my center of mass much lower so I could avoid tipping or flipping over, though I’m not sure what the mass scale is or what the Inertia tensor scale does. Still, they don’t appear to have affected much, though I did not notice you didn’t change anything in Inertia, was that intentional, you just left it as is?

In my test a used 4 HoverComponents on each corner of a flat cube (Scale = 0,5 0,25 0,1). With the inertia settings you can change how fast your hover car can rotate.

341558-hovercar2.jpg

341559-hovercar3.jpg

No go on this one as well unfortunately. The 4 hover components did stabilize the floatation, but as soon as any force or impulse was added to it the darn thing keeps tipping over like mad. I tried fiddling with the inertia, but any of the 3 I messed with, while stopping the tipping, also made it incredibly hard to turn. I use a torque based turning so this works directly against that.

As for solving the initial problem, it unfortunately did not. The translation of the speed was almost entirely the same with my components versus yours, though the added height did manage to get me above the smallest ramp, the 5 degree one.

Also, a strange thing is happening, the car won’t stop bouncing. I’ve tried adjusting the force, the height, even the mass, but nothing is stopping it from bouncing continuously. I’ve turned off all of my custom components so I can’t figure out why this system is doing that. It also seems to keep bouncing higher and higher with each spring, incremental as it is.

Good news, I found an answer! Thanks to the posts about trying different hover components (thanks for those by the way), I started analyzing my own components to see why mine were so different from those. This led to me seeing that the amount of “springiness” in the system was way too high, essentially it would become a super powerful spring every time it changed surfaces. By raising the damping super high, this didn’t happen so when the surface angle changed the spring barely condenses, so not as much force is applied so the “push back” didn’t happen.

My system uses a different version of the damping to be clear, I have a coefficient that is multiplied by the spring force to slow it down, I just wasn’t using it properly. Furthermore, by making this a much higher number (640 versus 80) I was able to make the springs super stiff, thus making it appear like a real tire, which is what I was aiming for anyway.

Thanks for everybody’s help, while your answers weren’t the direct solution, they led me to solving the problem so I appreciate it.

Glad to hear that. :slight_smile: Sry that I was just of little help :confused: