Horror Engine Documentation

So I’ve started to make a horror game using the free Horror Engine and I’ve found that there isn’t any documentation for it. Such as how to work the Horror Event stuff and even make keys work with doors. I myself have figured out how keys work and how to set up interactions with custom meshes but it’s the Horror Events i want to really figure out. Is there anyone out there who can help me and anyone else who is struggling the same as i am? I don’t want this thread to be a question and answer but an on going discussion.

3 Likes

Hi. I’ve just started using Horror engine and am exploring the possibilities little by little. I can share the details I have learnt. I would be very happy if you can share something too.
Right now I’m at the stage - how to make my own object, which the player can remove to his inventory. So far it looks like each object has its own logic, but I do not fit any of the existing ones. I want the player to put this object in their inventory, and in the future, when I make an NPC, the player will be able to give this object to them. I will try to figure it out.

hi I have a question. How to change menu song

1 Like

This is the sound of the object “Portal” on the menu level (portal sound) and sound of “WallTorch”

Currently, only one current quest can be assigned in the diary. When the player gets a new one, the first one will be executed. I would like to give the player several quests: conditionally, find a note and turn on the light in the room. Doing one will not result in the completion of the second. And each of them has its own line of tasks. Maybe someone has already done this.

This is awesome. I’ve been looking for a lot of resources and have found very little. I’ve started to develop a google doc that is a Horror Engine Manual of everything I’ve learnt. I did this mostly for my own findings so I can repeat them when developing my game.

Right now I am stuck on Horror Events with levels. For example, using an overlay trigger to put the player into another level, and returning with another overlay trigger to the same level. I can complete this but every time the player returns the map resets. Been trying to manipulate the blue prints but can’t quite get it without busting the the Horror Events.

Probably going to have to create save data for the actors you don’t want to reset, I would start with maybe creating a map of actor object references to booleans in save data, and use that boolean to dictate what happens on begin play I could maybe help more if you went more in depth with what exactly your trying to do hmu on discord if you want (ROFLMASTER)

Can you share the doc? We could all contribute to it using whatever we learn about Horror Engine along with having a guide to use as reference. Currently I’m trying to figure out how to use the Pistol Hold animation from ALS when the character equips a pistol but I’m not having any luck.