Home base - town area, with upgradable buildings - looking for tutorial

Hey, I am pretty new to unreal and am looking for a way to have a home base/ town area which you can upgrade when you have enough resources. If anyone could give me advice/ or direct me to a tutorial of something similar I would be so appreciative! I have a general idea as to how to do it in theory but I am very new and theory and practice are two very different things.
Thanks community!

1 Like

Id actually love to know the same thing!

Hey there @Jevanm11 and @Kildrake welcome to the community! Depending on how you’d like to build up the village, the approach will be wildly different! A very basic village growth system would just be that you spawn the buildings, and on the buildings themselves you can add materials and they change mesh and unlock more abilities. The other method would be actual base building.

On key component of both is finding a place you can put the building and placing it, which this tutorial series will go over. If you want to actually build a base by hand a la Rust or Valheim, this tutorial series goes over a building system just like them! However you’ll need another tutorial for an item system and inventory. I’ll leave an inventory system tutorial down there as well. After you’ve got them both working independently, you’ll just have to stitch them together. Unfortunately not many tutorials connect both building up a base and inventory systems with quality so here’s two that are pretty good!

Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: Epic Games is not liable for anything that may occur outside of this Unreal Engine domain. Please exercise your best judgment when following links outside of the forums.