Higher res models for Matinee

Hello everyone. I’m pretty new to Unreal Engine 4, but not to 3d. I make my own models including UVs and materials with a little rigging. I am actually looking at Unreal as a solution more for short animations, than making a game. My question is this:

If you’re making a short scene in Matinee, is it feasible to use higher detailed models, rather than Low Poly assets? I’m speaking more of human figures than of set pieces.

I don’t care how long it takes to render. I’m not trying to do this in a game, but I wanted to know some potential pitfalls if there are any.

Absolutely, UE4 can handle a lot of polys (both static and skinned). Especially when you say you don’t care how long it’ll take to render.

I’m not aware of a way to use UE to ‘render’ out frames to quicktime in a less-than realtime fashion - is that possible? It would be quite amazing if it were indeed possible to do this!

With the “create movie” function of matinee you can render out single images, which you then just have to re-assemble in a program like After Effects for example.

Or in blender :wink:

I just wanted to be sure. I saw the kite video and I was really impressed with the capabilities of Unreal. I’d been working with animating in Iclone, but the quality of the Iclone render engine is about ten years out of date, even for normal scenes with no special effects. I’d run across Unreal from the Kite Video and I’d had some experience with speedtrees.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w6EMc6eu3c8

Further research led me to other projects like this one. For someone like me who’s just a one person operation, being able to do stuff like this in Unreal is a real step forward. I was asking because I do use a lot of purchased content which I intend to put to good use. Some of my human characters are a bit more complex when it comes to polys and I didn’t want to start only to find out later that I need to decimate or find a lower poly solution. I’m basically talking about making cutscenes in matinee and not trying to make a live game.