High School UE4 Game Design Teacher Needs Help

Hey everyone, I’m new here and I need your help. I’ve been teaching Game Design and Programming for two years to high school kids and I have little knowledge of UE4. I’ve decided to use it as our go to program for 3D game development. I’m still learning a lot. What I can teach myself, I pass on to my students. During our inaugural year I had students design a 2D plat-former with a different engine. This year I hope to use UE4 for our upcoming Spring project.

I have this idea to provide the students with the assets and let them build the level and do the programming on their own. My idea was to have them build a third person medieval dungeon level where the player has to get from point A to point B. They can add pitfalls, traps, and maybe even creatures. Nothing overly complex as we only have a couple of months to work on this project.

I need to know what assets would be worthwhile to purchase. I has thinking some medieval architecture and props. Some characters, monsters, and even some traps. The problem is when I search on the marketplace I’m struggling to find out whether or not some of the characters, traps, and anything movable already come pre-programmed. Could anyone provide some ideas and direction? Maybe suggest a few kits to buy? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

There is no requirement to have certain programmed functionality for marketplace assets. Your best bet is to contact the sellers in question individually, since this can vary widely. A lot of marketplace assets have support threads (Though this may mainly apply to code assets), or at least some forum thread associated with them. Perhaps you can see if your question has already been answered in those threads.

Thanks so this is really helpful.

I wish I was able to use UE4 when I was in high school hahaha.

First and foremost, just to make sure it’s not an issue, I would make sure that the students will have access to computers that are fast enough to use UE4 properly. At least to meet the minimum requirements for the engine. Otherwise… it could be a less-than-fun experience for the students lol

I would recommend you check out the Infinity Blade assets on the marketplace. It is free, relatively low-poly, and includes 7 different sets of assets - anything from effects, monsters, weapons, environments, and some basic maps already designed for you.

Keep in mind, the Infinity Blade assets were designed for mobile, so they will NOT be amazing, super-high quality. But for educational purposes, it will provide your students with so much stuff to mess around with…

You should check out the other Epic Games assets, too. Maybe try the Animation Starter Pack for basic animations.