High resolution screenshots with 200% screen percentage results in broken output

When using a post process that has 200% screen percentage on it (or using the console command), then capturing a high resolution screenshot at 1.0 scale, the image renders only on the top left quadrant of the image, the rest is black. Oddly enough, taking a screenshot with custom depth alpha has a full size alpha, but the RGB channels are still 25% size.

Also, using high resolution screenshot at scales above 1.0 for me occassionally results in these random black squares, which I’ve narrowed down to having something to do with gaussian(?) DoF.

!

!

!

Hello doomfest,

From what you have described and your screenshots what you are experiencing is multiple issues while taking high resolution screenshot.

What I have done is opened a test project and set the post processing volume to 200 screen percentage. I then took a high resolution screenshot with a screen size multiplier of 2.

This is the result:

I was unable to reproduce what you are seeing. If you could link me your post process blendable and a screenshot of your post process settings. I will then continue to investigate this issue for you.

Thank you,

Logan

Here’s my post process settings. I forgot to expand ‘Blendables’ but the one slot is referencing None. Using 200% screen percentage in the volume and size multiplier yields this problem for me every time. I get the consistent black squares issue with gaussian blur, too. Has the HRSST been updated in 4.9? Maybe I should test it there too instead of just 4.8

Hello doomfest,

Thank you for the screenshots.

What I have done is copied your specs exactly on your post processing. After that I selected an object in my scene, and in it’s details panel I enabled “Render Custom Depth.” I then opened the High Resolution Screen Shot option and changed the multiplier to 2.0 and enabled custom depth mask.

I was unable to reproduce any of the issues you are experiencing and am not sure why this is occurring. A final troubleshoot would be to make a test project and create something similar. If you cannot recreate this in a new project with new assets then it could be project specific.

Sorry,

Logan

58131-hrss_settings.png

In order. The top is of your post processing settings. Next is the HRSS settings with masked enabled. The third is of the screen, cropped, with distance field and mask enabled on the rocks. The fourth is of the rock HRSS that was saved to my documents after taking the picture. Lastly, is of the rock, how it looks in game.

I was unable to reproduce any of the issues you were experiencing nor do I know what could be causing this issue. What you can try is create a fresh project with some simple objects and try and recreate the issues you are having. If you are not then this issue could be project specific.

Thank you,

Logan

Thanks for the investigation. I’ve repro-d this on more than one machine, and multiple projects too. I will keep looking.

Hello doomfest,

I cannot think of anything else to test on this one. As I cannot reproduce this I will be moving this from bug reports to Rendering.

I will also be marking this thread as closed for tracking purposes. However, if this causes a crash or you are able to provide more information regarding this issue, then please post again. I will then continue to investigate this problem at that time.

Thank you,

Logan