Hey all, I don’t think I’ve shared the full-resolution versions of these before, so have some beauty shots!
A little history. Last year my company was working on a game designed to be fitted as an installation at a space science center, but the center was never opened so the project has been gathering dust on our perforce server. We’re only a small team of three people, and I personally covered all things modelling and art based on the project - later moving on to help with programming. We’ve since adapted a mobile-version of the game (currently in open alpha), and naturally I had to scale the quality of the assets down by a huge amount.
I opened the project up this morning to get some beauty shots for our website redesign, and forgot how much love and time I put into these assets. Figured I’d share some screenshots with y’all but they really don’t do the stuff justice. I’d quite like to release a packaged version of this at some point so people can see it up close.
- Atmosphere Light Scattering
- Aurora Borealis
- 65K Pixel Resolution
- 3.7GB Texture Memory Required!
- Reprojected from NASA Data
- Thuderstorms / Surface Weather
- Light Scattering & Cloud Shadows done in surface material (no translucent layers)
- 96 Albedo (RGBA), 24 Night-Lights, 24 Cloud Tiles, 24 Normal Maps, 3 LUTs, 8 Tiling Detail Textures (All 4K in Size)
- 98 Individual Mesh Pieces
- 9x 4K Textures (Alb, Nrm, Rfl) + 1x Emissive Mask
- Black-Body temperature simulation done on the main engine (animated in-game)
- Working RCS thrusters
- Fully Animated & Rigged
- 30,274 Tris
- Built to fit snugly inside hardware performance budget
- Modelled after real items
- Shared Texture Atlas