Hi, I just started using TwinMotion to hopefully have it replace Keyshot for my work,however I can't get the Twinmotion Materials to map out properly on basic shapes like box or cube shapes.

When mapping say the Ipe A wood material found within the TwinMotion Material Library, one side of the top of the rectangular shaped house looks properly mapped, however the other side does not. It seems to happen if I scale the material to anything other than a multiple of multiple of 2, starting at 0.5 e.g. 1, 2, 4, 8, etc. I've tried the tips on apply materials using object UV and UV and still no difference. I have attached screenshots below to show you what I am talking about.

Hello ,

Thank you for posting in the community about this behavior with texture positioning.

Typically each element has a specific UV origin thus you will need to make sure that before the content is imported into Twinmotion that the texture origin for both walls are located at the same height/scale texture and you won't be having this problem any more.

Thus applying the same texture to both walls in your design application and aligning it correctly is key and if you need further help please provide the details of the walls/texture in your design software so we can provide more direction depending on what application is used.

Kind regards,

Vincent B.

Hi Vincent and thanks for getting back to me. The problem is not unique to my models or materials, or properly mapping out materials prior to importing and applying other materials within the Twinmotion rendering engine. This happens to Twinmotion primitives using Twinmotion materials. For example, I 1) added a TWINMOTION 10M Box primitive object to my scene then 2) applied the TWINMOTION IPE A material to it, then 3) rotated that material 90 degrees, and finally 4) scaled the material to .75%. The results are exactly the same as what I previously described in my original question. See the attached images. All I am looking to do is properly box map my part to a specific scale.

Hello ,

Thank you for the follow-up and added details.

Each mesh in the scene graph of the same texture has one origin so some elements that need different mapping coordinates to aligning the texture correctly won't work unless they are separated, thus you can't use exactly the same texture for a different plane axis and will need to duplicate it and change the settings to control it independently from the other one.

You can also import the elements by using the Keep Hierarchy collapse method and applying a different material with different Axes/settings to place correctly when needed.

I also recommend you ask in the facebook group if you have not as there are many users that share tips and tricks and they might have some additional information that could be useful. https://www.facebook.com/groups/twinmotion.community/

You can also make a suggestion on the road-map regarding ways to control better the mapping and positioning inside Twinmotion. https://portal.productboard.com/7pu88c9kpmqtzt8hwg6arujh/tabs/4-under-consideration

Kind regards,

Vincent B.

Vincent, Thank you for verifying that Twinmotion is incapable of correctly mapping it's own Native Materials to it's own native Primitive Objects. It makes sense now why I have been having the same problem with my own imported object and materials. Regarding your modeling recommendation, I normally don't separate the outer walls of a structure from each other nor turn the interior walls into separate objects when they are on the same plane (unless they require different materials, like brick vs. wood paneling) as that would take an unconscionable amount of time and doesn't make much sense from a modeling perspective. Not sure why this mapping issue hasn't been addressed before as this is really just fundamental stuff for rendering programs. That being said, I've attached an image of a project I completed in Keyshot 9. All of the materials were applied to the objects after importing into Keyshot, using a mixture of UV mapping, Box Mapping, Planar Mapping, etc. using the object's native materials, my custom materials, Poliigon materials, etc. What I have gathered from my two weeks of testing with Twinmotion is that while a very powerful and capable program, it lacks the functionality of the most basic aspect of object rendering. However from afar things do look great, just not up close.