Here's the main problem I'm finding with Blueprints.

Besides having a bit of a learning curve, and finding I feel like I’m working backwards to solve some problems, blueprints is sending my OCD into a frenzy! I find I’m wasting too much time trying to make my wiring look all neat and organized and trying not to cross the streams! lol

Anyone else have a similar problem? :slight_smile:

Yep. They do get confusing as hell sometimes. But hey, it’s WAY EASIER than coding! :slight_smile:

Yep, I also have the problem with the wires, but I just put many nodes into functions/macros/… -> https://www.unrealengine/blog/managing-complexity-in-blueprints :slight_smile:

Remember children, do not cross the streams; as doing so would be very bad. Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

I cannot believe that the developers at Epic did not realize this before they released this to the general public.

Totally see what you’re saying. I felt the same way when I learned Labview. It’s just an entirely different approach to programming. I will say that, relative to the amount of time it took to learn other launguages, Blueprints are insanely fast to get going with. They start to get hectic when you’re doing complicated things but like said using functions helps a ton with that. Comments within comments are also a really good way I’ve found to label even single nodes in a large graph.

There’s a few good ways to manage the complexity of blueprints like making functions, collapsing sets of nodes into graphs etc. Once you get used to it it’s not so bad. There’s a blog post that details some of the methods here: https://www.unrealengine/blog/managing-complexity-in-blueprints.

Another one is storing function inputs in local variables and get them where desired instead of dragging wires across the whole thing from the the node entry node.
From watching Zäck Pärisch :wink: in his training streams, that seems to be the “Epic” way to do it :slight_smile:

Same here, with an obsession aboout the custom events… custom events everywhere for me, I love them to keep things without crossing

you mean something like this ->

1d80fe8acaa57d539affc9870254894730fcc488.jpeg

lol :cool:

Hah I don’t like going that crazy with custom events. It’s great to be able to trace the code along it’s path and debug it easily, when your throw everything into functions or custom events it makes it harder for people to see what’s going on. So personally I would just try and get past the OCD that we all have as programmers and let the untidiness take over, just a little bit :slight_smile:

Lol… When doing C++, I have to have spaces between all parentheses, or it bugs me very much, here’s an example:

WRONG: putPixel(5,10)

RIGHT: putPixel( 5, 10 )