Download

Here's My Content Creation Game Development Workflow's

Overview:
There’s still people that seem confused about the basic workflow processes, and I can understand the confusion as I have had it too for quiet some time myself in the past, I’m going to do a simple starting process of the core basic portion of the Content Creation Process as how I’m handling it and it’s working for me. The thing to note, is that no matter what you use, the overall process for higher quality results still takes time and knowledge on how to use the tools and how to implement different techniques to achieve different results.

Ok, focusing on the graphical end, this is just some examples, here’s some good workflows for Indie Development, cheap but with quality results, and covering good licensing for both **Hobby **and Commercial Usage.

I may update this over time, there’s a few things I haven’t added such as audio tools or other things, but this for the moment covers a very simple and working process for content creation.

First Up: The Content Creation Tools

For games without focus on Characters (Like Ships or Objects) this is what it takes:
Unreal Engine
Blender
Corel Paint Shop Pro (Or Other Common Photo Editor/Paint Program)

For Triple-A or Realistic Quality Graphical End:
Unreal Engine
Blender
Substance Painter

Game with focus on Characters:
Unreal Engine
Blender
Fuse (Or MakeHuman, Poser, or DAZ)
DAZ Studio Pro

For Triple-A Version or Realistic Quality Graphical End:
Unreal Engine
Blender
Fuse (Or MakeHuman, Poser, or DAZ)
DAZ Studio Pro
Substance Painter

For Outside Massive Terrain:
World Machine or Similar

Simple Tech Breakdown

Initial Game Planning:
First, consider the type of game, input, and basic camera type that closely matches the game type you’re going for.

Decide the device(s)/hardware you wish to run the game on.

Decide the level of quality or realism you want in your game.

Unreal Engine Initial Game Setup:
On project creation, select the settings a game template in Unreal Engine as a starting point to match closely as possible to the game type you wish to make.

Enable/Disable any feature options related to the hardware you’ve chosen, disabling anything which you don’t intend to support or have no need for. Such as if the game is meant to run on just the Windows Desktop OS platform, uncheck anything Mobile or Apple related.

Fill in the basic project details.

Unreal Engine Initial Level/Object Development:
Use Unreal Engine to create your basic **BSPs **to block out/shape the level, add basic lighting and post processing, create a folder in Content Browser to store temporary BSP Converted Static Meshes in such as BSP, convert a **BSP **to a Static Mesh placing into that temporary BSP folder, go into Static Mesh Editor for that mesh and set Lightmap Coordinate Index to 1 and desired Lightmap Quality, export one copy of any identical BSP copies to FBX.

TIPS: For cutting holes in **BSP **you can convert the brush to a Subtractive/Cutter BSP Brush, to export the mesh with cutter hole still in it group the Subtractive BSP Brush/Cutter to the Additive BSP Brush before converting the **BSP **to Static Mesh. If the Subtractive BSP Brush/Cutter doesn’t subtract over the Additive BSP Brush, simply select the Subtractive Brush, press CTRL + X to Cut and CTRL + V to **Paste **so it’s placed top level over the Additive BSP Brush.

Blender Setup:
Setup Blender to **Metric **and Scale: 0.010 to match Unreal Engine’s Units of Centimeters.

Then set Blender View Clipping to **1cm **and **1km **to set the Camera’s View Clipping (so you can zoom into geometry more without the geometry occluding out and have a bit better zoom out view range.)

Delete the default Blender Cube if desired.

Under Render Settings/Resolution, set it to what you want your regular texture resolution to be, such as 2048 x 2048, set the percentage scale for resolution to 100%.

If making a 2D only game or drafting greebles, you can set the camera view from Perspective (3D) to Ortho Mode (2D) and use Top/Down View or Front View.

Click File/Save Startup File so you don’t need to set these values again and it’ll automatically load these settings the next time you open Blender.

Import into **Blender **a BSP Converted Static Mesh FBX you exported from Unreal Engine using FBX Importer and checkmark manual orientation, then use settings of Forward: Y Forward, Up: Z Up with Scale: 2.00

Recreate the BSP Converted Static Mesh Geometry from the one you imported and edit the mesh as you see fit, then UV Map the object, open the UV Map Editor and select all faces and click **Bake **using Full Render Mode to see the UV’s, close the UV Map Editor and go into Object Mode, remove the original material, create a new material, select all mesh faces in edit mode and assign the material to your selected mesh faces.

Set your material **RGB **values all to 1.0 for the **Diffuse **and set **Intensity **for **Diffuse **and **Specular **to 1.000

Set **Hardness **to 1, and put a checkmark in Shaderless.

Go back into Object Mode and click Tools/Edit/Shading/Flat

Export Mesh to FBX with FBX Exporter using Scale: 0.50, Forward: -Z Forward, Up: Y Up, selecting Mesh export option only.

Import the mesh for high resolution texture creation into a program like Substance Painter.

Adding Realism in Substance Painter via Blender and Photo Editing Program:

Import the Blender Exported FBX and match the desired document resolution for best appearance while editing.

Use **Blender **and photo editing program to create greebles, text, custom brushes/stamps, stencils, and decals, etc…

Import the greebles, custom brushes/stamps, stencils, and **decals **, etc. into Substance Painter and apply the details to your mesh geometry surfaces, paint on the mesh geometry materials.

Setup channels you wish to use to match the material options in Unreal Engine, such as Base Color/Albedo, Metallic, Roughness, Height/Normal, Emissive, etc…

Export the textures related to those material texture channels you choose to use when finished to a folder specific to the level at the desired resolution.

Putting it Back Into Unreal Engine:
Import the Blender Exported Static Mesh into a Meshes folder, and Substance Painter Exported Textures into a Textures folder.

Put material in Textures folder where your textures are and open the material in Material Editor, drag and drop the textures to the material and set the texture import settings to match the PBR settings for Unreal Engine, and wire them up properly.

Make sure the material is applied in the Static Mesh Editor and **Save **the mesh.

TIPS: Instead of using the substance format, you could control or recreate effects with basic image processing using the Unreal Engine Material Editor, Unreal Engine Animation, and Blueprints in combination, for instance by changing material parameters, that’s really as simple as it gets.

Replace any identical **BSP **or Static Mesh in level with the newly imported one and manually setup collision using collision volumes and whatever else and you’re pretty much set once you add more lighting and everything else, you can delete the temporary BSP’s once the new static meshes have been imported and all the old BSP or Static Meshes have been replaced as they wouldn’t be needed anymore.

Character Creation/Rigging/Animation:
If you want to create a character based game then using a character creation tool such as Fuse, MakeHuman, Poser, or DAZ Studio Pro can quickly get you a fully rigged character up and running, you can** re-texture** or edit the shape of any characters created in these programs to add more realistic detail, or remove the details to make things cartoony, anime style, or whatever. And DAZ Studio Pro and **Poser **characters are setup for animation out of the box. **Fuse **is also now a good option especially for Unreal Engine development as characters are easily brought into game engine and up and running using the base skeleton, it uses the substance format and also as the characters are uploaded and rigged and support the Unreal Engine default skeleton it supports the skeleton based animations already with Unreal Engine and bringing in more Mixamo animations or custom created ones are pretty simple.

For manual animations for vehicles, I’d use Unreal Engine and Blender.

For weapon animations, probably **Blender **or DAZ Studio Pro if you aren’t gonna use the default Unreal Engine or a Marketplace purchased set.

The animation flows of DAZ Studio Pro, Unreal Engine, Poser, and **Blender **is pretty good.

For Large World Terrain Creation:
World Machine seems like the best option besides Terragen or Unreal Engine built-in right now.

Thank you very much for sharing! There are a lot of useful tips.

Did you try create character to makehuman and import animations from Poser Pro?
i have try and retargeted the skeleton but when i use it at my makehuman,character the hand become weird

Does the Blender set up still work perfectly for the current version, 2.73? Because I love this write up

Yes, Blender works (2.7.4., from last week). Just rigged and animated and imported a dino.

Btw. why DAZ Studio Pro? Can you download-export animations or characters from there?

Cheers dude ^^

Well, animations need to be tweaked :slight_smile:

really nice tips to learn lots of things