Help with getting Mixamo characters into Unreal

I tried doing the same and it worked for the most part, however, I chose and tried out other skeletons (Jill, Zoe, Maria and some others too) and I got this result:

This is with “Translation Retargeting” being set to Animation only.

The next one it’s set to Skeleton:

And this is the same with bones (ignore the bone at the very end - that’s not bound):

Is there anything in particular that can be done to prevent this from happening?

Guys, any idea regarding the eyelashes problem?

Edit: I think it’s just not possible to easily use Mixamo free anim packs in Fuse characters. I’ve been having the same issue as you with the skeletons.

From Mixamo:

I’m getting the weird, distorted fingers too. I’ve been ignoring it so far and it only happens once you apply animations from the mixamo character sample.

I seem to have been able to manage to do this. This is my procedure:

• Create character in fuse.

• Upload to Mixamo, rig with the default skeleton - NOT the one with fingers. You can do blend faces if you like, there’s no problem with that.

• Download T-pose as an FBX file. Import to UE to get your mesh, skeleton, physics assets.

• Migrate one of the mixamo sample characters by clicking the blueprint for that character and migrate it to your project. It’ll be named somthing like “Mixamo_Adam” and it’ll be a child of “MixamoCharacter_Master”.

• Go back to your project, find the Animp BP (eg. MixamoAnimBP_Adam) and right-click and go Retarget. Select your newly imported skeleton.

• Once you’ve done this, you should be able to see the animations play in your skeletal mesh. A copy of everything you need will have been placed in the folder with your skeleton.

• EXCEPT the original Mixamo_Adam file. Make a copy of this in your folder, rename it, open it and select the SkeletalMesh component and change two things in the details panel: which mesh it uses, then assign your new AnimBP.

• Now go to your GameMode BP and change the default pawn class to the BP you just edited.

Hit play, it should work. Here’s a video of my results:

So what you get when you retarget is a copy of all the animations, a copy of the blueprint that tells it what animation to play, etc. You can now import other animations for your skeleton from the Mixamo site and import them as being associated with your skeleton. From there you just need to edit your blueprint to tell it when to play them and do any tweaks in persona like putting in notifies.

So I did some more work and I have some new insights:

• I used the “Basic shooter” pack from Mixamo and that fixes all the finger problems. Presumably all the marketplace content on Mixamo fixes this. The open-access subscription is pretty much worth it if you can get it.
  • You need to edit the hip animation track to remove the Y axis translation so that they run/walk on the spot. This is easiest to do in Maya. When you import the animation after doing this, it might tell you it’s not an animation asset. It is lying, import it as an animation anyway.
  • After importing, open the animation and change the import animation time method to “set range” and have a guess at where it needs to be. It’ll be from 0-40, 0-22, etc. You just change the upper value and hit re-import. Leave the animation playing and just keep tweaking and re-importing until it looks smooth.

So overall I’d say the Mixamo characters are incredibly useful, but it’s well worth grabbing one of the movement packs and replacing the sample animations. Here’s a video of the character sample 1d-blendspace setup, with the animations replaced: (the video encoded poorly, ignore the stuttering frames)

Wow, thanks for your amazing in-depth input. Indeed, that seems to work, and any animations imported directly from Mixamo work perfectly.

By the way, I love the art style in your game.

If anybody is still having the eyelashes problem, the way to “fix” some it (which gives a better but not really polished result) is setting the bodymat material as “Masked” and connecting the base material alpha channel to the opacity mask:

FixingEyelashes.jpg

Hi All! Loving UE4! Made the transition from Unity recently

I thought I would lend my personal experience with Mixamo and Fuse v1.2 with Unity and UE4. The steps in postings above work well.
GeoDav is also correct…if we would like to use Fuse and Mixamo we will have our work cut out for us.

1. Fuse to Mixamo makes a very optimized character model for game engines. Clothing, Hair…everything is combined into the Mesh. This means you can only turn On/Off those components that are in that FBX downloaded from Mixamo. If you want to have 500 Characters with various appearances you cannot swap between clothing models. Skin textures, Hair, and Clothing colours can be swapped in game. You will need to swap between full characters. Not bad for NPCs that will rarely change but a lot of work and time to make 15 outfit options to Character Model 1. Character Model 2 will also need 15 full models…and so on.

2. The texture for the eyelashes must be manually separated for Unity. UE4 is far simpler by setting the body texture to Masked and connect the alpha (as stated above).

3. Mixamo AutoRig works very well except the shoulder area. DAZ Genesis Models Rigs work better but still have bad shoulder issues. Every Rigged Model will need to be Manually Fixed to resolve this. Even if you Paid for the Rigging Service (All Access has a Huge Bonus here)!! Think about this a moment…with ALL the Uni-Mesh Characters from Fuse to Mixamo would you even want to attempt to have to fix every one of those?
    Mixamo has stated that they are trying to resolve with no solution as yet.

4. Exporting the Fuse Model with or without clothing/hair/etc . The textures are packed on export which can then be directly imported into the engine. This is the best method for Mixamo Workflow. Rig the Gray model and download the FBX without Textures or Materials. At this point it is a simple matter to add clothing and such to the nude models as well as swap textures with logic.
    *Note: In Unity it is simple to add the textures to the models and cycle between various types. In UE4 when importing and FBX without Textures the model has no slots to drag a material. Have not discovered how to add Material Slots to a Skeletal mesh. I am sure there is some method to do this.

5. Importing into Fuse your custom models is tricky and fickle at best. Even when exporting from Fuse, touching up the model, then import it has very mixed results. Clothing has strange results because the script that Auto-Shrinkwraps the clothing model shrinks it too much. Perhaps not reading the imported template properly. There are no clothing adjustments with Fuse either. Bummer. Character models import fine but the skin textures have poor results on the import process. Also for custom shaped character models creating new normal maps yields poor results since even subdividing the mesh to very high resolution and smoothing looses all the details…so another manually shaping fix on the way…this model will not import either since the UVs will not match the Import Script in Fuse! So all of this shaping work is for the Normal Map only.

Fuse is a nice software to create characters very quickly with very nice results. Mixamo AutoRig is very fast and has good results. Mixamo’s animations are very very good although very strange that animation groups are incomplete. Like a weekend came, party shared, Monday return to work, on to the next project without remembering the current one was not quite finished. :slight_smile: In the end getting the Mixamo animations to Re-target to a different skeleton will need some work or software to transfer it. There are far too many small things that are unpublished which causes a lot of frustration and time spent on trial and error.

Last note. With the Mixamo Pre-Made characters like the free download pack in UE4 the rigging and skinning issues do not exist and the characters function great for testing.

In the end I think unless Fuse and Mixamo’s AutoRig is fixed there is far too much work to warrant manually fixing every character.

Krixa

Appreciate the extensive writeup Krixa!That’s a great point about swapping clothing… I’ll make a note of it and maybe we can ball it up as a Fuse feature for the foreseable future! Wow, that was a mouthful.

Right now UE4 doesn’t support retargeting between skeletons with different hierarchies and joint rotations, mentioned in the UE4 docs, “In order for different Skeletal Meshes to take advantage of retargeting, they must use the same Skeleton asset to ensure Bone Hierarchy, but also the same Joint Rotation in the Bind pose.” The UE4 standard skeleton is setup slightly differently than the Mixamo default, though there is work being done to address this, retarget all willynilly, and make everyone’s lives easier :cool:

We actually have a webinar coming up next Wednesday with our Support Engineer Jeanette that will go through Fuse character creation, using Mixamo animations and setting up a custom character blueprint!

blog-ue4-1409.png
Blog Link with signup!
http://blog.mixamo.com/webinar-invite-unreal-engine-4-with-a-mixamo-skeleton](http://blog.mixamo.com/webinar-invite-unreal-engine-4-with-a-mixamo-skeleton)

Cheers!

Hi !
Looking forward to the Webinar next week! Have a great weekend my friend!

Hi , i’d love to be online for the webinar but with the time zone and my late shift i can’t make it, will it be recorded and put on site or youtube as that would be great

Yeah, they upload the webinars on Youtube after a couple of days.

Hi ! Thank you for posting!

I have been using iKinema to retarget Mixamo skeletons/animations and is very simple. The shoulder area is still crude but hiding under clothing helps hide that.
I have many in game situations where clothing is off though :rolleyes: so not a complete solution.

I too shall watch this once available on Mixamo or YouTube.

Krixa

Definitely! We’re getting pretty good at the video turnaround too, last one was a record-breaking 24 hours :cool:

Just a heads up, the webinar for setting up custom character animation blueprints using Mixamo animation is going to start soon!

You can join by going to joingotowebinar.com and using ID: 115-993-715

Details:
Title: Mixamo Webinar - UE4 with a Mixamo Skeleton
Date: Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Time: 11am PST

Technical Support Engineer Jeanette Mathews will show you the ropes of building a Fuse character, getting it rigged and animated on Mixamo, and then bringing it into UE4.

We will record the webinar and send around the video, even if you can’t make it!

^This exactly.
There are ways to get “defaultisht” autorig, but the point is to learn them by yourself. Not only it will cut you some slack, financially speaking, it will make your projects more “personal”.

Make sure to download the UNREAL fbx version. When you queue for download you can pick Unreal FBX from the drop down.

Related https://community.mixamo.com/hc/en-us/articles/204338093-UE4-Fuse-Material-PBR-Setup

Try take alook at this guy here, he really knows his stuff. Maybe that could help you out.
https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?86962-Using-Mixamo-Fuse-1-3-amp-Mixamo-Animations-for-your-Unreal-Engine-4-Projects&highlight=eyelash+mixamo