Help understanding deployments

Hello,

I need help understanding how deployments work. From what I can tell you have 3 release management stages and 1 artifact that cant be changed however you can assign multiple deployments to a single sandbox/stage but they dont show up anywhere outside the product configuration page.

I am trying to add in a QA team and would like to push to a special STAGE deployment that only they can access but I dont see an option in the release management page to push to specific deployments.

I followed the documentation but I am just not understanding this concept. on steam you just assign builds(artifacts) to branches(I assume deployments), but on steam you have a drop down to select which Branch/deployment you want to send a build to.

I am just trying to understand the steps I need to do to get QA members added on to a QA private branch, right now I am using a private itch.io download and that is not ideal.

Thank you

1 Like

Hi @KomodoBitGames,

Thanks for reaching out, if the individuals are not a part of your Organization within Dev Portal, you can create a Player Group to allow them early access for testing! You can check out our documentation on Player Groups here

Okay,

so players groups are used for giving access to testers without adding them to the organization but how do I push a specific build to them on a seperate STAGE branch?

The documentation shows that you can have multiple deployments like “internal”, “external” but I dont see a way to push exclusively to that branch and leave the default publishing release management stuff the same. I would like to have two builds for two different groups while leaving the build I submit to epic for review seperate. So Ideally I could upload 3 builds and 3 different player groups would have their own one. I dont see a way in the dev portal to push specific builds to a respective player group.

Thank you

Hey there,

Deployments represent a set of Epic Online Services configurations, rather than a separate build. If you are looking to have testers use a different build, you can create a Demo offer, which will automatically have its own separate artifact spun up. To ensure this is not accidentally published to Live, ensure that its release date is configured for the distant future.

Hope that helps!

Okay thank you, do I just redeem a key like the base game for the demo to get access in my library and use player groups for it?

Hello again,

I got a question about live for a in house beta test. If I accidentally push it to stage and it gets in the review queue can I somehow remove/exclude it from review submission?

Hello,

There currently is not a way to recall from the review process, if this occurs and you know it will not pass you can write in a private case to notify us and we can skip the review and send it back. Please note that since our private cases and the reviews are handled by separate teams we may not be able to relay that information in time and still might get a full attempted review.

As for the keys, yes! Once the dev key is redeemed and if the account is either apart of your organization or added to the player group then you’ll be able to access the build!

Okay,

I was messing around with a beta test using a demo offer and working with player groups/deployments and I think I get how the system works now and how to utilize it properly.

Your responses helped. thank you

1 Like