Help to choose a processor for UE4

How are you migrating / importing assets? While 16GB RAM is fine, do monitor the usage; quite often, when running out of memory, the OS will start dumping excess data to a swap file and the system will come to a grinding halt. You can observe this in the humble Window’s Task Manager.

If there are other processors that are
better and not more expensive, tell me
please.

Better but not more expensive? - no such thing, sadly. The pricing very often reflects the overall performance somewhat accurately. You choose a budget and pick the most expensive bit that fits. There may be some wiggle room if you truly focus on 1 singular task like video encoding, vRay, games - some hardware can handle it better. But going by benchmarks vs money you can afford to spend is generally OK.

The 5800X is a good chip if you can afford it. The 5600X sits in a sweeter spot when it comes to performance / price and should be around 25% more affordable but slower than its older brother ofc. - especially in multitasking - and that’s where gamedev is.

Still quite the jump compared to a venerable 4 core, non threaded CPU.

Hello everyone! I have been studying UE4 for 1 week and got some problems.

When I add Static Mest to Foliage’s panel my computer freezes for a long time (10 minutes to 1 hour). Last time I tried to add five bushes models from “Open World Demo” asset and it hangs for one hour. I want to upgrade my processor because my i4 6400 can no longer cope.

There was a difficulty in choosing a new processor.
There are two options that I have found: Intel i9-10900 or AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Please tell me which one is better? My PC: GTX 1060 / 16 GB RAM.

I have not overclocked my processor and am not going to do so.

Thank!
P.S. Sorry for my English -_-

Last time I tried to add five bushes
models from “Open World Demo” asset
and it hangs for one hour. I want to
upgrade my processor because my i4
6400 can no longer cope.

99% certain this is not related to the CPU. Or is, at least, a combination of factors. Are you running an SSD?

That demo is devastating on any machine, btw. Not sure about importing some bushes :expressionless:

Intel i9-10900 or AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

5800X will be better than the non-k 10900 in most but some fringe cases. It’s more expensive, though; the comparison is not fair, tbh. If you get the choose between the 2, then 5800X is better.

One way or another, it’s a massive boost over that i5!

99% certain this is not related to the CPU. Are you running an SSD?
Yes. What might it depend on? The SM’s name is “HillTree_02”.

The comparison is not fair
If there are other processors that are better and not more expensive, tell me please.