[HELP] Painting Materials & Textures Possible?

Hello everybody !

A little noob here seeking for help. I’ve decided, after following many official tutorials from UE4 YouTube Channel, repeated over and over those levels until I got the basics wrapped around my tiny brain, to create my own level. Despite that, I’m considering myself as an utter noob on the subject, and in top of that I’m french and struggle sometimes with some technical terms, which makes it fairly difficult right now to grasp all the words and shortcuts, etc, because omelette du fromage. But I’ve decided to create my very first “open” world level nonetheless. Let’s say it’s more like a landscape for our first prototype/demo of a game, actually… sounds better.

Making a forest in the mountains here, I’ve downloaded on the market a free pack from UE4 team in order to do so. (KiteDemo I believe it is called)
I’ve managed to create, sculpt the landscape, to put meshes and certainly to add foliages like I wanted so it begins to look all beautiful, worked like a charm. I’ve got grass and flowers and rocks and trees and more rocks and ****.
BUT, as for painting on top of my core landscape, I have a main problem with it.

See, on the Landscape Material, as a base for the entirety of the map, I’ve put Environments > GroundTiles > Grass > the M_Ground_Grass2. Very basic. But it permits me to see everything clearer. Now that I begun to work on a specific area and to go from there to extend, I want to perfect the area with adding more textures and make everything look more realistic, cool, etc…

But I’m unable to do find how to do that.

For more precision, here’s a concrete example :
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/773082Sanstitre.png

I would want to paint in certain areas the M_AssetPlatform_Grass (Material) in order to diversify this mountain side. How do I proceed to make this miracle happen ?
Maybe you need to apply the texture from the same folder instead, but how do you do that also then ? I’ve tried to slide (like I did for the Landscape basic material, eh) those beauties everywhere but they won’t cooperate. **** you, GravelTile !

Thank you in advance for your kindness and answers.

Hey, search in google :wink:
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/QuickStart/5/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/Editing/PaintMode/index.html

Hey,

Well in fact I’ve already followed the first tutorial about creating a landscape. Problem here is I can’t find how to add a Target Layer in the first place in Landscape > Paint mode.
It’s very confusing at the moment, because a follow step by step is easy, but when you have to do it from scratch it’s really more overwhelming.

In the tutorial you create your material and layer blend and all the nodes which are very complicated at first, but the already existant Materials from Kite Demo are no jokes for a noob like me, ten times more nodes, so I can’t find a way to make that work at the moment, though searching everywhere.

Any tips on what to do first here ? Because when clicking on certain Material Instances I don’t even have the nodes screen popping up, so I can’t even figure out how to fix that right now.

-because I can create new materials but I don’t manage however to use targeted layers from Materials already created, so I don’t see the point of having pre-made Material Instances if you can’t use them right away, or you need to recreate them manually and apply all of them as the base landscape. Or is it the only way ?-

Also, I’ve managed to create Targeted Layers by recreating Materials, but a new wild problem came to me : http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/162112Sanstitre.png

Now, part of my map is becoming a chess game !

I have no idea how to interpret your posts because I am from another country too.
I have a feeling you may have run out of texture samples by the looks of that last image, a single material can have 16 samples, 1 or two of those slots get taken up for lighting purposes, to overcome this obsticle you can change the sample type to wrapped.

and if your using a material from the Kite Demo they will have a lot of nodes to give the detailed needed, so I could move them to a material function, and inside it use the MakeMaterialAttribute, bring it into your main landscape material and use BreakMaterialAttribute to get the values back

Make Material

Break material