Download

Help needed with blueprint creation

Hey, I’m coming from Unity and have years of experience with c#. However, I think that’s exactly what’s becoming a burden to me, as the entire programming part seems to be very different in Unreal. I’ve been trying to create a blueprint for hours now and could really need some help. In exchange, I’ll make a “For Dummies”-style tutorial for the future :smiley:

I started off of this tutorial :
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Blueprint_Function_Library,_Create_Your_Own_to_Share_With_Others!
and just like described in the official programming 101 by epic ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3AvZmZEPyc&index=27&list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE ) I created a new project, clicked on File -> Add Code to Project. I then chose one of the classes that inherit from UBlueprintFunctionLibrary because UBlueprintFunctionLibrary itself is not available (greyed out actually). Now I open the files in QtCreator, because Visual studio doesn’t see the files (which were created under XXXProject/Intermediate/ProjectFiles).

Now I copy paste the code from the text tutorial (see first link) into my new files and change the new filenames accordingly to UVictoryBPFunctionLibrary.h and UVictoryBPFunctionLibrary.cpp . I ignore the errors for now and go back to the editor. However, unlike in Unity, Unreal does not seem to notice new scripts being added to the project, so I close it and rebuild the entire editor. I start it up again. The “VictoryBPLibrary” does not appear in the Blueprint menue (even without context sensitivity).
Since I had noticed QtCreator showing quite a bunch of red underlinings in the original header script, I add some semicolons to make them go away (c# user here, can’t stand anything except for ] not having semicolons at the end :smiley: ). That didn’t help, nor did it throw any errors.

Finally I added complete judderish to the cpp file and built it again… Again, no errors, the build worked just fine fine. Moving the file somewhere where VS can see it didn’t do a thing either. Right now I’m force-rebuilding everything…

So I hope I’m doing something amazingly stupid :slight_smile: Any help would be appreciated though.

You need to be compiling in Visual Studio

Are you doing that?

Have you already compiled your project in Visual Studio?

You cant use just UE4 as a code compiler :slight_smile:

Rama

PS: I am just in a hurry, hope you dont mind my tone

Yes, I have the source, built them, used the editor to create the new script files, then built it again. Thanks for the suggestion though :slight_smile:

It would useful to post your source code and all relevant steps to see what might have happened.

When you make a new C++ project, you need to compile that project as well.

Could you explain a little more what you are trying to do? Blueprints are created entirely inside the editor, and don’t require touching any source files!

Thank you for your help. I solved the problem, though I do not know how. I started completely from scratch again, built the engine, then a project, then added the scripts from the editor and now they showed up immediatly in VS. I think that was the primary problem. For some reason, VS did not even try to include my scripts in the build. I’m sorry I can’t say much more, I did everything I can remember exactly the same way on the second take, and now it works.

I wouldn’t have done this if I hadn’t had your confirmation that I did no obvious error so far, so seriously, thank you for that, the support here is great :slight_smile: