Help me Unreal file won't open. There seems to be a problem with the megascan file.

Hello, I’m a new student of Unreal. I’m using Unreal 4.27 version, and I’m trying to open the file I was working on before, but I get this message and the Unreal doesn’t start.

the ‘MegascansPlugin’ piugin was designed for build 4.26.0. Attempt to load it anyway?
yes / no

The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version: MegascansPlugin
Engine modules cannot be compiled at runtime. Please build through your IDE.

Also I can’t start a new project, and Unreal 4 itself won’t run at all. Please help me, thank you.

In you project folder, there should be a Plugins folder with the MegascansPlugin inside it. I would suggest copying it to another folder as a backup and then deleting the MegascansPlugin folder. Then try opening the project again.

Click yes to open and make sure the plugin is installed for 4.27 in the Epic Launcher. If the project is valuable, make a backup copy using your file browser (Explorer or Finder) then delete all the folders except for CONTENT, and try opening again. If that doesn’t work you’ll need to right click on the .UPROJECT file and CHANGE VERSION to 4.26 and work with the plugin it was made with.

I hope one of those options works for you and that you’ll let us know how it goes. It seems at times that it can become too complex for projects to upgrade or change their engine version without some issues. So often you want to attempt to start and finish with the same Unreal Engine version when possible. I like to build my projects in 4.23 so that I can build HTML5 packages for Itch.io but Android builds need to be completed in 4.27 so I’ve dealt with similar issues.

Cheers