Help me stop this annoying stuttering

Help me stop this random annoying stuttering, please.

1 Like

How are you doing the revolution?

How do you know it’s not happening to your PC the whole time, but just becomes more obvious in the engine?

The stuttering is constant no matter what is in the scene or how I am moving in the scene. My computer never stutters in any other application or game either.

Are we looking at a clean project here with nothing running? Incorrectly used garbage collection can be brutal like this, for example.

Tricky one. Have you tried turning off framrate smoothing? ( project settings ).

It appears to happen at a constant rate too. Every 1-2 seconds to be precise, or an average. The FPS (top right, not the first entry in the list of stats) goes from 120 to somewhere in the 90s during the stutter. My guess is it’s something in the project settings that doesn’t work with the scene, either some incompatible feature that’s enabled / disabled, or a slider that is not at the right level/value.

I’m opening UE 4.24.2 currently and going to check General and Rendering settings. I recall changing some of those settings in 4.23.1 and resolving some slow speeds and lag.

Yes, I checked to see if it was on and it’s not.

Yep, it’s a blank project.

Any ideas on what it could be because I haven’t changed any of the settings.

The stutter (frame freeze) coincides with the printing of the numbers that drop along the right hand side.

There appears to be some calculation going on at that moment. Printing to screen is expensive anyhow. And there appears to be empty text printing there as well.

What are those numbers?

Those falling numbers are shows you the hitches its something you can enable in the stat. I thought it might help figure out what was going on. The stuttering still happens with or without that stat enabled.

What is that command?

You will need to look deeper in the profiling.

I’ve seen that stuttering when World Comp loads a level at range.

Here’s a txt file with suggested tweaks / changes to the Project Settings, and one in World Settings. It’s for testing what is involved in causing the hitching, moreso to identify the problem area than to retain the settings suggested…unless that’s doable upon resolving the issue.link text

Still doing it even with those settings applied no change.

I also have this problem and from a reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengin...m_medium=web2x

I can confirm that for my case it seems to simply be due to the fact that I have a VPN installed (PIA).

Unreal Engine only stutters when I am is NOT connected to the VPN.

So either connect to your VPN if you have one, or uncheck “Enable Transport” in UDP Messaging Project Settings in the meantime I suppose.

3 Likes

Thank youu!

I had the same issue and this fixed it, Thank you very much!
What exactly does Enable Transport do? It doesn’t make any sense to me.

I’m having the same issue as well. Nothing in the answers helps.

I’ve noticed that stuttering intensifies whenever any keyboard key is pressed. I’ve tried two different keyboards connected to different USB ports, and it’s all the same.

The frame rate doesn’t drop, so it not because of some expensive computations going on.

It happens both when playing in editor and in a packaged game; however, I don’t see the same issue in the games packaged in previous versions of UE. Unfortunately, 4.24 doesn’t get downloaded through Epic Store anymore for some reason, so I can’t check it.

If anyone has some more suggestions, I’ll be happy to hear them.

Wow, thanks a ton. Instant fix…Why is this even a problem?