Help: Complex modelling with Unreal?

Hello community,
I would like to use Unreal. So I am completely new and have not worked with Unreal yet. I usually work with different CAD systems and Unigine. Unreal is really getting used to. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to design a complex model in Unreal? The editor seems to me very rudimentary. Can I split a size between two vertices, for example, and how?
  2. Do I need to use another program to import the model into Unreal?
  3. Is Unreal essentially a program for the compilation of premodelled static mesches in a scene?
  4. I have the problem that I can’t go into a basement with the animated figure from the original first person, or the person can’t vary in height. Can the rudimentary figure also move below zero?

I would be delighted if I could get an answer to my serious questions. Landscapes can be built really well in Unreal. But that’s just a piece of work for me. My main feature is complex systems and systems.

Thanks for your help.

UE4 is not designed as a modeling tool, the tools available in UE4 are simply for blocking out a level before you replace them with high detail meshes you’ve created in another program.

Hi, many thanks for this short statement. This helps me alot.

Question: What is the best size of one element in an scene. Exampel: I would like to design an industry plant. I have the place, the environment, two houses and some mashines, connected with tubes. Is the tube level the best size, or is the mashine level the best size of elements for Unreal? Or is the best size of every element in the scene the houses with all mashines as one block to import?
Thanks for your help.

Dear community,
I would like to ask another important question that will help me to use **Unreal **optimally.

Example: I have a building consisting of four floors, two basement levels with several rooms, several roofs in different heights and some smaller houses (example of first floor see below). It means, an seven level building. I want to be able to make the building in Unreal, so I can go to every floor and look at the individual rooms.

Questions: Is it best for Unreal’s that each floor is imported as a single object or only parts of one floor, i.e. individual rooms? Or would an optimal solution for **Unreal **to import individual walls? But that would be several hundred walls for the entire building. Is the import of a single window optimal for the use of Unreal, or is it better to import whole window groups, for example all windows of a floor? In this context, I would like to ask what criterion would be appropriate for a compilation of an object or a block. So, for example, is it the object color with the same texture on a wall? What criteria can I use to provide functional units for Unreal?
At the moment I have every single floor as a complete object as FBX file. I wanted to make the coloring and textures in Unreal. Or is it better to make the textures and colors in other external programs?

Example of the first floor of the building:

I have now understood that in addition to **Unreal **I still need a program to build objects. What other programs do I need to create a realtime simulation or multi-level game with Unreal?

I would like to thank you first of all for your help.

It definitely needs to be split up. Usually I split by ceiling/walls/floor. You can combine objects first by the location (for example a room) and then by materials. Things like props (furniture) shouldn’t be combined with anything so you can more easily place and reuse them.
Each object can only have one lightmap, so if you have a large object (like walls) and you find you aren’t getting enough lighting detail even with a high resolution lightmap then you need to split it up.

The number of objects currently loaded will impact performance, so you want to try and keep that number down. That’s also why you need to section off some areas so that it can unload things that aren’t in view.
For the building you’re making though, you may have trouble using baked lighting, since it has many rooms and it may take too much RAM to build. If that’s the case, then you’d need to use dynamic lighting which doesn’t use lightmaps and instead you’d have to be careful in which lights use shadows.

Ok, thank you darthviper107.
I think before I can go into my project with Unreal I must learn more.