HELP: Can't get blueprint event to trigger in Sequencer

Hi! I could really use some help. I’m trying to call a custom event within a blueprint actor in the Sequencer. I’ve looked everywhere and I can’t figure out why it’s not calling the event.

The custom event is called “TestCustomEvent”. I know this blueprint works because when I swap it out with “Event Begin Play” and press play, it works great.

I created a Level Sequence, added the actor track called “BP_Synthesizer”.(this is the actor that has the custom event I am trying to trigger). Created an event track, and a trigger event, then selected my custom event.

After that it automatically created an event in the LevelSequence:

So to my knowledge, it should be working. But when I play the sequence back it does not call the event. I’ve tried creating a new blueprint, and still, I cannot get an event within a blueprint to trigger from the sequencer. Any help would be amazing! I am in UE 5.0.3.

Thank you!

-Taylor

Any updates on this. I am struggling with the exact same issue.

1 Like

Similar issue. I have a BP that makes 9 lights turn on and off. Custom event “Flicker Lights” It all looks the same as OP but doesn’t trigger. Am I missing a plug in?

Can you try hooking your event to a simple Print String node and see if anything gets printed to the log? If you’re running this in editor, make sure the event is set to Call in Editor. If it does print to the log, then we know that the event is getting fired.

Adding the level sequence to the level should do the trick:

1.) Add the sequence you created to your scene

2.) Sequence → Details → Playback → Autoplay [X]

3.) Simulate / play the level

Also, there is a secret way to call specific functions from sequencer in the viewport without simulating or playing the level by driving them with a variable:

Step 1:
In your blueprint create a function and name is “SETdoSomething”
(It’s important to prefix the name of your function with SET)

In the details panel for the function, tick Call In Editor

Also in the details panel, add an input…I will use a bool for example.
Note: The input variable name doesn’t matter. I will leave it as “NewParam”

Step 2:
Create a variable named exactly the same as your function → “doSomething”
(Do NOT prefix it with SET this time like you did with the function)

I’ll make the type a bool type to match the input type…but you could use other variable types as well so long as they match the input type of your function

In the details panel for your variable, tick Expose to Cinematics

Also be sure to click the Eyeball icon next to the variable to make it public and show up on instances

Step 3:
In sequencer drag your blueprint from the outliner into your sequence
Then hover over the + icon until it says track and click → properties category → Do Something
Scrub your timeline and add a key frame

Now, as you scrub the timeline, the variable will be updated and fire off the function you have it set to.

Note, this will call the function each frame of the sequencer timeline so it’s kind of like using event tick.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Works like a charm!