Help: Camera Zoom 1ST Person.

Hi

I have been looking around and unable to find a tutorial on how to set a ZOOM function for 1st Person.

I tried to amend a 3rd person one without success.

I added a Swing Arm, but had to rotate it 180 so location was 0/0/0 in reference to the camera

I tried this script off right mouse button. It is being called :slight_smile:

Capture.JPG

I thought about putting a another camera in the BP about 300 ahead on X and just changoing camera, but do not how to do that either :frowning:

Any Help would be appreciated.

This should work if you make the camera a child of the spring arm component. At the moment the spring arm is a child of the camera.

Actually, your mesh is also set to be a child of the camera, therefore when zooming your arms will still be visible…you’ll probably want to make the spring arm a child of the mesh and the camera the child of the spring arm. Also, when changing the value of the arm length, if you interpolate between the values it will be a smooth transition.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

I think what you are actually trying to do is zoom the camera from its current position? for that you probably just want to manipulate the FOV. Have a look for the term FOV off the camera.

Hi

Thanks for the feed back

Just looking at a like a scope. Just jump to Zoom. E.g. 500

Works fine until I get around Meshes

In the video, when I walk around the trees, I am not hitting Right Mouse button.

As said, I think you are actually trying to do something like this?

That’s a .5 second long timeline, that has a float track, 0 at 0 seconds and 40 at .5 seconds. It reduces your characters FOV when right click is pressed, so it “zooms in”.

Unless for some reason you actually need to move the camera

and are correct, changing the FOV is the way to go with this.

Hi

Where is the “Player FOV” VAR and what does it do, no node to find, Is it a VAR, if so, what should it be connected to?

Thanks Again

I am subscribed to

Which TUT was this in?

Player FOV is just a float I added, you can call it whatever you like. It gets it’s value from the camera’s default when right clicking.
If you wanted, and you know your fov is (90 by default), then just replace it with that. As in, where you have zero in the minus node, replace it with 90. Also, yo uhave the inputs reversed on that, presuming your timeline goes to a positive value.

edit: the only reason I done it like that, is that if your player can change their FOV in game settings for example the setup will still work.
But if your FOV is fixed, you could just do some thing like:

The timeline goes from 90 to 40.

Cheers for reply

Works well. But somewhere I stuffed up up/down look. Shoot me now.

Fixed up look up and down.

But you can not move the camera while in ZOOM.

Not sure this will work. Thanks for the replies either way.

It shouldn’t affect that, how is your input set up for look up and down?

: I stuffed up my look somehow in my backup. So reverted to original and fine.

Issue I have is no movement when in Zoom, and zoom not returning to normal view.

P.S. How to you control how far the zoom in?

That timeline should not go from 0 to 40 if you are setting it directly like that, it should be from 90 at zero, to 40 at the end of the timeline (and then switch your inputs).

The lower your FOV, the more zoomed in you are. It should never be 0.

For Now ****** SOLVED ******

That is what I needed to know.

At this point, FANTASTIC.

I suck at 1st person shooting, take that aside. :slight_smile: